Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmcd_gw

corn?

gmcd
14 years ago

Anyone grown it? think it would grow ok in deep water culture?

Comments (6)

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

I'd grow in ebb/flow system for small production and in drip and waste gravel/sand beds when expanding. Not sure if corn would really appreciate DWC, as it doesn't like wet feet as a field crop. But the "wet feet" thing doesn't always apply when there is good oxygenation. With DWC you have to solve the support problem of such huge plants, as they aren't supported at the root zone at all.

I've grown a few stalks in a ebb/flow system (in gravel) to test reproduction of rare heirloom seeds. All went fine (with the first test shot) until they got some pest. The actual seeds I was interested in and initially wanted to plant in the second step never reached here, so I stopped this project.

Here's a nice YouTube I found when doing some research about an appropriate growing technique. It's an interesting solution, but the accessibility of the reservoir is not really solved with this setup. Mine had a double growing area (2 trays) hold by a separate stand and the reservoir was well accessible.

Here is a link that might be useful: HYDROPONIC CORN

• freemangreens
    14 years ago

Hey! Thanks for the video link; that was pretty cool. I think if I were to do it, I'd make a square criss-crossed matrix out of hemp string and plant one kernel in the center of each square -- kinda like the way soil gardeners do when they use the "square-foot" method.

As each plant grew, it would be centered inside the string and I'd do that again after it got another foot taller. I think I'd then put a rope enclosure around it to hold things from being blown out of the tray and just let it go from there. I think that'd work.

Using perlite is a no-brainer as long as there are some screened weep holes near the bottom of the container. The reservoir doesn't need to be there under the growing chamber. All you have to do is remember to hit things with nutrient morning and afternoon each day.

Whose idea was that little "automatic" green link I see in my first paragraph as I preview my post?

• mrpepper
    14 years ago

I have grown Corn from seed to cob in Hydro. Its not easy to do. The Wet Feet thing is very true in Corn, Stawberry, and many other ROOT type plants.

Corn requires very heavy root aeration in deep water culture. I tried a number of times to grow corn, and failed until I learned that corn roots are slow to grow in hydro. Corn roots rot very easily in hydro, like other root or non wet feet types.

My best, was growing corn in grow rocks, with the water level below the basket, and tons of aeration.

I ended up using 50% of the recommended ppm or EC, and kept the PH at 6 which seemed to work well. I had far less PH creep with Corn than other plants in Hydro.

One part GROW forumulas work well until the "tassel" at the top of the plant forms seeds or pollen, at which time the BLOOM formula did seem to help.

The plant I grew, turned yellow, and almost looked dead at the final growth stages where the corn actually matured on the plant.

It tasted fantastic by the way. I grew sweet corn, and it was like yellow corn with all the sweetness of the white corn.

• georgeiii
    14 years ago

{{gwi:8573}}

{{gwi:21041}}

These are what I grow corn in. Having 2 parts solves the wet foot problem.

• volkgarten
    13 years ago

Yes, it can be done. First attempt 2010, Burpee's silver queen, some bloody butcher and some aztec white. System was a recirculating box with growbags of mixed mulch and perlite, about 6 inches deep. Pump on timer, 15 minutes every 2 hours. 36 plants in 9 square feet. No photos for last year, but plants ranged from 6 to 11 feet and the roots had run through the entire box. Had several episodes of leaf yellowing. Ears ranged from 2 kernels on 4" stub to filled 10" (15 rows only 3 ears like that). What's missing? Am running experiment again and will post photos.

• tbaleno
    13 years ago

I had a similar setup as mrpepper. The toughest thing is pollination. Maybe trying two different varieties that grow at different rates might help to try to get more pollen on the cobs. I'm not sure though if it would change the taste of the corn as I believe the kernel is the seed and would therefore have the genetic makeup of both plants.