Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydroponic, Diva, Cucumbers, Bitter

Posted by jobil AZ, SW (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 18:27

Using NFT and keeping TDS 2000-5000, trying to keep pH 6-6.8. cucumbers are slow, most blossoms not making, and cucumbers are bitter on the stem end. On same line is tomatoes and they are doing fine. Nutrient temperature is usually 60-68F. I am very new any help really appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydroponic, Diva, Cucumbers, Bitter

Your pH and TDS are only optimum for Tomatoes, but the Cucumbers need pH 5.5 and TDS 1190-1750. I recommend to plant the Cucumbers in separate line or trough and give them the proper pH and TDS.
Good luck in your growing.

o

That's good to know safwat! Is there a list out there somewhere that shows all the proper levels for various fruits and veggies grown with hydroponics? I'd love to know as much as possible without trial and error!

o

Howard Resh has some good articles on hydroponic vegetable growing on his web site, www.howardresh.com. There are lots of recipes out there on the web. I find the nutrient recommendations of hydrogardens in Colorado Springs to be quite good for my use. If Diva is bitter, it is usually because it is growing with a good bit of stress; you might try lowering the tds, and also looking at an alternative growing method; nft can be hard on cucumbers if there are excursions from their optimal nutrient levels.
Renais

o

charlielittle wrote:
Is there a list out there somewhere that shows all the proper levels for various fruits and veggies grown with hydroponics?

Try this link

o

Hi Charlielittle,
Here is a list of pH/PPM/CF for Various Vegetables.
Note that PPS=TDS, and if you divide CF values by 10 you get EC/mS-1. Please go to the following website:
www.gthydro.com/vegetables.html

o

Here is what I'd like to know:

Vegetables Ph category cF PPM
Tomatoes 6.0-6.5 H 20-50 1400-3500

The cF and the PPM seem to have such a large range. How do you choose?

o

Low side for starter plants and increase with plant growth and maturity. Takes experience I guess to know exact amounts for particular plant growth stages.

o

Wow my truncheon meter only goes up to 36 CF - 50 is off the chart :)

o

I will note, from the linked table, that capsicums show a nutrient requirement of 1260-1540 ppm. I have been growing chiles (capsicum) in hydro for years and the recommended nutrient is high by a factor of 3 or 4.

Chiles with this much nutrient show burn in 2 or 3 days.

o

Thanks for the info Willard. I wonder though if the ph and/or nutrient brand plays into it as well, regarding the PPM.

o

Here's a link to a chart on Vegetable PH and PPM.

-Mus

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable PH and PPM Chart

o

Cukes are a warm weather crop. I noticed that you said temp of solution was 60-68. Unless you are growing some cool weather type, I would guess the temp is too low.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here