Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akbabyhuey

Omega Garden

akbabyhuey
16 years ago

I recently saw a vertical grow set up that seemed to make very good use of a limited light source, and was searching for other examples of it, when I came across Omega Gardens. This looks incredible, and was wondering if anyone else had seen or tried one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omega Garden

Comments (9)

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

That's probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in the world of hydroponics. Thanks!

• grizzman
    16 years ago

Thats cool. . .
    if you live in a cave.
    seriously, its a neat design and all, but why do people who get into hydroponics sooooo often think artificial light is a must?

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

Hmmm...how to get something like that to work in the sunlight? I suppose you could reverse the plants to face outward and have a spraybar type thing inside that's activated by a switch for each row passing would get a shot of nutes right on the cubes? Will have to think on this a bit...

• akbabyhuey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The reason that indoor hydro appeals to me is climate. I'm from AK and will be moving back there in the next couple of years. The growing season is short, and most fresh fruits and veggies are expensive and not too fresh (since they have to be shipped up).

Using artificial light would allow me to ignore the seasons, and have better quality produce. When I have more experience, I've been thinking of expanding my operation to market the more popular veggies as well as herbs (food and medicinal).

• grizzman
    16 years ago

but doesn't Alaska have extremely long days?
    couldn't you simply build a greenhouse and take advantage of the natural light bulb.
    If you've got sufficient light, that system is not practical. I'm sure a motor spinning those things is less efficient that a water pump running an NFT of ENF system.

• akbabyhuey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

During the summer, that wouldn't be an issue at all. The other 9 months of the year is what I'm talking about. And I'm also purchasing land that has a river on it so I can set up a micro-hydroelectric generator on it. That way I'll have free power (after the first year or so I'll recoup what I invested in it).

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

Better set you up a gold sluice on that river! What about the hydro generator freezing up or the river freezing?

OK grizzman I got you an outdoor sunlight powered Oh Mega Garden all designed and ready for building. Two pumps operate it. One continually fills small tubs of water on the one end on the circumference to cause the weight factor to spin the barrel. As it comes around the bottom tub empties and thus the barrel always is bottom heavy on one side and rotates. The other pump is set on a timer and mists the inside of the barrel occasionally to wet the plant roots like aeroponics. No media. Plants grow out of foam plugs like on my patio. Where's my green smiley face, lol!

Yes I'm going to actually build it...

• grizzman
    16 years ago

Kind of like a water wheel to make it turn?
    But for what reason. just make straight runs.
    Rmemeber to always practive the KISS method.

• charlielittle
    16 years ago

Reason mostly...Omega least expensive unit is almost $2,000.00, well probably over that with taxes, s&h and all. I want to see if mostly recycled things can be made to grow just as much produce in the same amount of space as this, what I think is really cool device but like every other thing out there...way over priced. Does manipulating gravity really cause faster growth? I want to see. How hard is it to harvest produce growing inside a rotating chamber vs. outside chamber? I think outside chamber would be much better and bet the whole thing can be made for the cost of a couple of pumps, a few feet of hose and some fittings.

Waterwheel...yes, that is the idea on one end.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus