Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water aeration

Posted by carb none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 20:23

Hello,

So i want to ask if water circulation of the dwc tank by using a water pump and placing it at e bottom of the tank to move water around is going to aerate the solution so i dont have to put an air pump

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water aeration

It needs to generate a waterfall or otherwise disrupt the surface to aerate the nutrient. If you can get it to do that, it will aerate just fine.

o

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 23:17

by waterfall, do you mean that the water has to create a splashing effect(the one where I see bubbles) or is it okay if it falls gently?

What I have now is an 8inch deep 1x2' tank with a raft above it. I have a water level pvc tube that drains down to my res tank when water goes above it. but it doesn't splash where you see bubbles, it just falls gently because the water draining at any given time isn't that much. is that enough to provide enough aeration for 4 lettuce? I'm using those 3/8" tubing to bring up nutrients to the raft tank, so you can imagine that is also as much water draining down.

o

The water needs surface agitation for more efficient oxygenation.

Why are you staying away from an air stone?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Growing Adventure

o

you could either shorten the overflow pipe so the water falls further before hitting the reservoir nutrient or you could modify the feeder line (to the raft tank) to create a waterfall in the top tank.
Is the "in" line on the opposite side of the raft tank from the overflow line? And does it open into the tank at the bottom?

o

Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 19:47

@ halfway
Mainly to save electricity. Ours is expensive here

@grizzman
Yes its on opposite sides.

o

Pump the water into a pvc spray manifold. It's just pipe with holes drilled in it. A 1/8th" drill bit will work. The holes are on the underside of the pipe and the water will flow through that. It should sound like a lot of peeing.

o

Also, air pumps aren't really energy suckers. You wont even notice the difference in your bill i'd bet

o

Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 21:51

is there a cheap way to measure dissolved oxygen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here