Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes & Strawberries

Posted by aarongreen123 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 20:37

Hi
I have never grown anything, ever. I have always been interested in hydroponics and have read a lot but never had a chance to do anything with it. My wife wants to grow strawberries and tomatoes this year, and she wants lots of them to make sauce and can. Can these grow together in one system? I like the systems made of corrugated pipe that zig zag back and forth down an A frame, looks simple enough to build without breaking the bank if it fails miserably. VipVenom had posted a sweet looking system that I thought I would copy unless someone warns me off. PVC if not the corrugated. I am in upstate NY and plan to grow exclusively outdoors.
I like to dive in head first, but tell me if this is just idiotic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes & Strawberries

You can grow anything in a hydroponic system if you have the right setup. I'm also from NY on the southwestern end.

http://s1131.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ray4852/library/Mobile Uploads

o

That system will probably work for what you want to do. you just need to be careful to not let the tomatoes shade out the strawberries and watch the tomato plants closely. they can develop giant root systems which could clog the pipe of smother out the strawberries.

o

maybe would be best to separate them into two sections and use a common resevoir?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here