Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ethnobotany

Hydroponic Tea

ethnobotany
14 years ago

Has anyone tried growing tea hydroponically? I'm a tea enthusiast and have never really thought of actually growing my own.. until now.

I live in zone 6 and also am wondering if I can plant the tea outside after the last frost?

If anyone has some ideas of where I can find some good tea seeds that would be great

Comments (4)

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

@ ethnobotany,
    One more interesting possibility and I am actually a fan of "exotic" plants grown hydroponically.

But I guess that the very particular geological and climatic conditions (altitude and location, micro climate etc.) are something that may compromise the idea - or let's say may limit quality.

Same for coffee and vine, which are in fact plants that deliver best quality when grown in some areas with that particular and sometimes "magic something" that one can hardly expect with growing those hydroponically in a "random" location and with some other, actually unsuited conditions or climate.

I am not saying that the results with hydroponically grown coffee, vine or tea will not give any good results or even be a deception. But you get the idea what I am trying to say here, don't you...?

There was some time I was even investigating about actually reproducing nutrients with attributes and qualities of particular soils and such. I was interested in elements and trace elements that may influence taste or any flavor related qualities too. I found some interesting stuff, but at the end it looked like making plans to hunt down some mystic creature that didn't really exist in that realm - if you know what I am talking about. ;-)

• ethnobotany
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Haha yes I in fact do understand what you mean Lucas :D

You are right about all that and I can see your point. I am going to still give the tea a try and just see what happens. I doubt the flavor will be very good, but hey, eventually I may learn the secrets to growing the worlds finest hydroponic tea!

I know its ridiculous asking, but, are there any nutrients which you learned about during your searching that would be beneficial for taste of the tea? Or any ideas on the humidity and temp necessary?

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

To be honest, I don't exactly know tea plants like the back of my hand and I don't know much about specific nutritional requirements of tea plants (camellia sinensis) off-the-cuff, either. Even though the stuff is grown quite successfully and in decent quality not far from my place (Chiang Rai Province in Thailand).

If you look at growing tea plants hydroponically from a (even) more optimistic perspective, note that a number of medicinal plants are grown very successfully with hydroponics and with increased content of active substances as they say. I guess that the fact that you simply offer optimal nutritive conditions to some plant, is "good enough" to increase their quality. At least at some level and related to some of the qualities they may have. When comparing with tomatoes (just an example), - you may manage to increase there nutritional quality but not necessarily the actual taste. Herbs (which are more related I guess) again, seem to have very good flavor and taste on top of their richness in active substances - which makes sense anyway.

It would be interesting to know the soil composition of the Darjeeling region at the lesser Himalaya or the one of the Assam Province where the more "rustique" Assam tea is cultivated. There should be certain particularities that may help composing nutrients. Same as in french vine regions, slate and calcium content is often quite high in soil. Or look at the high acidity of underwood soil that is best for arabica coffee plants.

As for elements and micro elements in general it's truly hard to conclude something helpful or conclusive for particular plants. Sulfur for example is one of the key elements that is responsible for the pungency of some vegetables like mustard (leaf or grain), radish, wasabia japonica and related root vegetables. But we don't need any pungency in our tea, do we...?

I guess here you have some clues and at least a starting point for a way to go, if ever you want to go down this road a bit. But take care though: as even here around they sometimes say that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions :D

• hydroponic1
    14 years ago

There are certian conditions like high humidity in India or other places and southeast Asia or the fertile plain of southwestern Ariabia but certian siols have certian addtives to like silt in anycase reserch what is in the siols to make the tea taste a certian way but if you can get full sun and high humidity go ahead

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting