Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jp07_gw

Survival duration in plain, stagnant water?

jp07
14 years ago

Hi--I was growing a pepino melon plant (similar to eggplants; a nightshade) aeroponically, but for some reason the plant started to die in the aeroponic chamber, so I took several cuttings and put them in plain bottles of water. I set them next to my window and they seem to be doing quite well -- I think the root primordia helped with their success quite a bit.

Anyway, my question is... how long can they survive in just plain, stagnant water (no nutrients at all)? I'm trying to hold out until it warms up and maybe I can plant them outside. Further more, will they survive a central Kansas winter? I'm trying to decide whether to pot them or plant them in my backyard. They are currently growing, despite the less-than-optimal conditions -- there are some new leaves popping up and the roots keep growing deeper.

Comments (9)

• grizzman
    14 years ago

Hi JP,
    I can't specifically answer your question, but here are a few things to consider / try;
    put a small airstone in the bottom of the bottles of water to aerate the solution. Alternatively, you could just replace the water once a week.
    add a small amount of soluble fertilizer to the water so the plants have something to grow with.
    top the plants to promote root development and stronger stems.
    If you're going to plant them in dirt anyway, go ahead and put them in some potting soil now.

The plants will appear to be growing fine, but they are in fact trying to find a food source. eventually the plants will get leggy, pale, and all around sickly as they use up their energy reserves searching for a new food source. best to not let them look too long.

• stevey_frac
    14 years ago

I second grizzman's opinion here.

They are definitely looking for food. My pepper plant seedlings were rocking along, doing well. One day, i got down to check on them, and i find massive root growth in all directions sticking out of the rockwool cubes. It was time to move them to the hydroponic system. Once i did, root growth slowed to almost nothing, and the plant is focusing on throwing out foliage. Those roots are doing something along the lines of 'I swear there was nitrogen RIGHT THERE last week....'

• hydroponics_supplies
    13 years ago

Plants may survive in just plain, stagnant water for a period of time but the question is: for how long? That's something uncertain because growing plants need enough oxygen and nutrients to grow. Unfortunately, stagnant water won't be able to supply the sufficient amount of oxygen plants need and yes, grizzman is right that the plants will -- later on -- look for some food (nutrients) to eat.....

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They can survive for years if you only do partial water changes. Let tap water gas off for 24 hrs before doing pwc. Trim roots if they start to fill container.

• hex2006
    7 years ago

You`ll be lucky if they last a month in plain water, the first thing you`ll notice is the bottom leaves yellowing before falling off as the plant starves to death.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

hex...plants can live for many years in just plain water. Its because of the anarobic bacterial action in the water. Just keep pots filled with water and only do partial water changes.

• hex2006
    7 years ago

Plants need a supply of essential elements, N,P,K,Mg,Ca,Fe and micro`s without them they will become deficient and starve. Plain water typically contains Ca, some Mg but not nearly enough N,P or K. I recommend you do a side by side, one plant in plain water, the other with nutrients :) ..

• User
    7 years ago

You can add a little milk to water if you are concerned about nutrients. Tip: If you are using so much fertilizer, milk, etc. that you can see it in water....You are on the borderline of using too much.☺

• Nick Tomic
    7 years ago

Probly to late for an answer but look into the kratky method,just keep your water level so it only covers 20 percent of the root mass to ensure there getting enough oxygen,people grow this way without airpumps or airstones

some good info here http://growww.weebly.com/hydroponics.html