Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlielittle_gw

Foam Plug Seed Starter Experiment

charlielittle
16 years ago

Having to rinse potting mixture off my seedlings prior to placing in my system has inspired me to try something new, well new to me and to fit my system methods.

The foam plug is a 1" slice of 1/2" foam pipe insulation from the hardware store @ $1.50 per 6ft section = 72 plugs @ approx. $.02 each. These plugs squeeze nicely into a 1 1/4" diameter hole.

Put about 1/2" of perlite in a foam bowl. Set the foam plug in and filled the center opening also with perlite. Wet the perlite in the bowl with a weak nutrient solution. Observed fair wicking action up into the perlite in the foam plug. Inserted cherry tomato seed. Will see what happens.

Hoping the seed will sprout and the roots will hold the perlite in the plug well enough to stay while plugging into the system. If a little falls out I don't figure it will hurt anything and be much better than having to wash off potting mix. A whole tray would be very easy to prepare and transplant without having to handle the roots so should be minimal transplant shock if any.

{{gwi:1000191}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville