Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlielittle_gw

Dripper Project

charlielittle
16 years ago

Three recycled 2 liter bottles (two with caps),a 20oz bottle, a couple of 1gph drip emitters and some PVC parts, primer, glue and silicone sealant. Drill, hacksaw, jigsaw, 1" hole saw or wood boring bit, 5/32" drill bit, butane lighter.

Fill the green PVC portion with some media and put plants in the holes. Probably drill more holes on the back side but this sewer & drain pipe already has two rows of holes pre-drilled. I rather like to use un-perforated pipe and make my own hole offset from each other to provide even lighting for the plants and it just looks better!

It hangs or stands but a bit wobbly standing. Would be easy to make a X stand out of some wood.

The drip emitters say 1 gph but I find without active pressure they take about 2 hours to drip drain the two liter bottle. When it empties the top bottle and depending how long the media will retain moisture, you just lift out the bottom bottle and pour it back into the top via the 20oz. bottle-top funnel. I figure with the drip time, two, maybe three times a day, maybe less or more depending on media, temperature and plant types. Will paint it black then white.

It's not a set it and forget it type thing but if somebody really likes tending their garden or if power is a problem this would be a neat thing to have hanging around I think.

What to do with the leftover pipe? Notice the top bell end used to hold the upper bottle. The rest of the pipe can be used to make more drippers by adding a 4" coupler with PVC glue to hold the bottle.

If there is any interest I'll make a detailed how-to tutorial.

Charlie Little...Hippie Junkyard Engineer...B.S. School of Hard Knocks

{{gwi:1000284}}
{{gwi:1000285}}

Comments (10)

• hind_sight
    16 years ago

Neat idea!!

• charlielittle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! That lowest hole...either the dripper needs to be turned over to reflect the 2gph side to drain faster or that hole doesn't need to be that low. What happens is when the upper bottle is full, it drips faster and fills the growth chamber till water runs out that bottom hole. Probably could just do away with that chamber dripper and replace with a barb fitting so it runs straight through. The media ought to get saturated well enough. I'm filling this with screened/washed floor dry clay granules for the media.

• grizzman
    16 years ago

i like it. a few questions though.
    is the green inverted 2 liter at the bottom (red cap with a dripper) cut off to just act to funnel the water to the emitter?
    Is there a drip emitter in the top inverted 2 liter to control the output?
    Will it drip into the media fast enough to saturate all of it (the media that is)?

i did a similar thing a few years back but not hydro. holes in the side of a 4" pipe with herbs growing out them. ran a 1/2" perforated pipe down the middle. just water it as needed with the hose. excess water drained out the bottom.
    worked pretty well. I may modify that sytem to work hydroponically this year.

• charlielittle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes to the first two questions. The red cap with dripper bottle top is siliconed in place. This dripper just needs to be deleted and replace with a piece of tubing. Not sure how the saturation is going to be yet. I was sort of thinking just about any plant is going to have roots that will extent into the center or beyond when setting so if the area of saturation is just in the center it should do ok?

How did you keep the media from running out the sides of your pipe and what type media did you use?

• charlielittle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dripper has evolved into the PVC Flipper Dripper . Perlite media, three plant holes. 2 Liter nutrient capacity. Flip it to drip it! Fill by either removing one end or through level indicator hose. It was a mental blowout getting the drip and fill for the upper and lower containers in what was an airlock situation...draining the top and filling the bottom and visa versa when flipped without leaking but I won the battle, lol! Got to open a valve and close a valve before flipping but it's not all that difficult little screw things. Fun stuff! Plants ought to get a gravity workout on this thing. Wish my strawberry plants would get here.

What is the next stage of dripper evolution?

{{gwi:1000286}}

• grizzman
    16 years ago

Since mine wasn't hydroponics, I used potting soil. I used rope to criss cross the bottom to hold the dirt there and I used window screen across the side holes to hold it there. I started my herbs in peat pots then transplanted when they were big enough.

I asked about the saturation because until the plants have grown enough for their roots to reach the center, you have to make sure the edges get saturated.

• charlielittle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Did away completely with the drip emitters. Inside what isolates the center section is now weed barrier fabric with the micro pores that let air and water through. Glued onto the ends of the end pieces, trimmed then glued into the couplers. Both ends will come apart from the center. Still need the twist open/close air valves to allow flow through. This will surely saturate all the media in the center as it is a whole surface drip from the fabric and drains quickly enough to the bottom side as to not overflow the plant holes.

• charlielittle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some strawberries I bought at the hardware store in the foam plugs. Seem to be doing fine so far after a couple days.

{{gwi:1000287}}

• charlielittle
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I don't mind admitting that after a couple of days, right after the previous post I went to flip the flipper and water ran out the side holes. Hmmm. Don't know what went wrong since it worked fine in the empty test. Maybe the perlite plugged the micro mesh. Oh well. I have enough to keep me busy without worrying over a novelty. Sorry if anyone was following this. Maybe I will try some other mesh later on...

• grizzman
    16 years ago

probably catching on the roots and running out along them.
    Just my initial thought on the subject