Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ugsetta

Moldy seeds Aero Garden master gardener

ugsetta
15 years ago

Hi -

I searched the forums to see if anyone has had this same problem but didn't find any previous posts on the subject.

I have an Aero Garden that I've used successfully to grow the pre-packaged tomatoes and herbs. Thought I'd try my hand at growing my own seeds. The growing season is very short here so I thought I'd get a head start on spring. Each summer I save seeds from my flower garden, those are the seeds I started in the Aero Garden using the master gardener. That was a first class failure. I left two basil plants from the herb garden in the Aero Garden and planted coreopsis, purple cone flower, hibiscus and blanket flower in the master gardener plugs.

My seeds didn't germinate, and they got moldy.

I cleaned and bleached the unit, even put the roots of the basil plants in a weak bleach solution. Got it all put back together and tried again. Same result. Moldy seeds, no germination. My plant propagation book said that coreopsis, cone flower and blanket flower germinate at 50 - 55 degrees, so I thought perhaps that might be the problem. But wouldn't that just make them not germinate? Would the constant water bath make them grow mold?

This weekend I plan to try one more time with plants that have a higher germination temperature - tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos.

Any insight?

Thanks -

Ugs

Comments (6)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

Usually when seeds get fuzzy it because they're too wet.

• peat_0
    15 years ago

Can you confirm that you have the Master Gardener labels stuck firmly on the top of the pods.

If the sponge is left 'open' to the light, then you will develop mold/fuzz on the top of the sponge.

Nutrients/Water + Light = Mold!

Hydrogen Peroxide, diluted to the proper consistency, can be added to your water tank - as well as pouring over the top of the sponge. This will kill your mold.

Second thing is, are the basil plants fully established i.e. being feed the full nutrients?

You cannot add seeds using the full strength AeroGarden tablets, the seeds will be destroyed by the strong nutrient mixture.

Hope some of this helps :-)

• jp07
    15 years ago

Try using the paper towel method and transplanting. Also, I'm not sure--but what are the light requirements for these plants? I have made cardboard cutouts for my aerogarden to place over the holes in order to facilitate germination... But if all else fails, use the paper towel method and transplant at the first sign of germination.

• Jennifer Chase
    6 years ago

The problem is air flow - if your seed pods mold you have it somewhere the air isn't moving enough. I have two corners in my kitchen that happens and it ALWAYS happens in the basement.... You have two choices, heat the room more (because heat dries the top, and that worked for me in the basement) OR add a fan. Obviously a fan is cheaper on the electric. A fan works nicely too because the plants seem to like it. BUT if it is blowing very cold air that won't work either.

• Igor Viznyy
    6 months ago

Mold growth in an AeroGarden, or any hydroponic system, can be a concern, especially since these systems provide a moist environment that can be conducive to mold and other microbial growth. Several factors could contribute to mold growth in your AeroGarden:

Poor Air Circulation: Good air circulation helps prevent mold by ensuring that excess moisture evaporates. Stagnant air can lead to increased humidity, which, in turn, can foster mold growth.

Grow Domes: If you keep the grow domes on the seed pods for too long, they can create a mini greenhouse effect. While this is good for germination, keeping them on for too long can trap moisture and lead to mold.

Contaminated Water: Using non-sterile water can introduce mold spores to your system.

Overheated Water: Warm water can encourage mold and bacteria growth, especially if it's stagnant.

Low Quality or Contaminated Sponges: If you're using replacement sponges that aren't from AeroGarden or are of lower quality, they might not be sterile and could introduce mold.

Ambient Conditions: The environment around your AeroGarden, like a humid room, can contribute to mold growth.

To prevent mold:

1. Ensure good air circulation around your AeroGarden.
    2. Use clean, preferably distilled or filtered, water.
    3. Regularly clean your system and check for plant debris.
    4. Remove grow domes once the seeds have germinated.
    5. Keep an eye on the water temperature and ensure it doesn't get too warm.
    6. Use quality, sterile sponges and supplies.

If mold is already present, clean your AeroGarden thoroughly, replace the water, and consider starting afresh with sterile supplies.