Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maregug

NASA Plant Study and Trying to Recreate Wolverton Pot

maregug
10 years ago

In reading about the NASA study and how houseplants clean the air, it appears that an active hydrocultured plant removes more toxins that a traditional soil-based planted houseplant. One of the scientists involved in the NASA study, Bill Wolverton, did additional research and has come up with this planter:

http://www.wolvertonenvironmental.com/Plant_Air_Purifier.pdf

In looking at his system that increases the rate of toxin removal, it is just a hydroculture system using hydroton and activated charcoal that utilizes an aeration device to increase the air flow around the plant roots. His device, however, sells for $229, which is A LOT of money.

I'm going to attempt to make my own. I've got a bunch of Luwasa pots that I once used for passive hydrocultre. While things grew well, I continually battled mold and algae growth, even in the opaque containers (forget about the clear glass ones I tried). But if I can figure out how to add an aeration device to my Luwasas, I think I'll have an approximation of his system.

I'm wondering if anyone here can give me advice on this, direction on what sort of product would work for this application. I'm browsing hydroponic stores on-line, but the aeration devices they offer seem to be for much larger applications than a single pot.