Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using ammonia, and modified soil nutes?

Posted by hydrotheoretical (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 23:26

I'm a complete know-nada when it comes to hydroponics systems. I've got African Basil doing well in soil, with several clones just rooted and transplanted into a window planter. I want to try moving the mother from the soil bucket and attempt deep water culture hydroponics, and I'm wondering a couple of things.

Since ammonia will cause a sharp drop in pH, could that be used for pH control without causing too many problems, assuming ammonia doesn't get absorbed so easily? And can I make a modified solution of my soil nutrients to use for hydroponics systems so I don't have to go out and buy hydro nutrients?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using ammonia, and modified soil nutes?

Ammonia will bring the pH up, not down.

As for your second question:
I used to soak commercial fertilizer in water for a few days. It worked well on herbs. Unfortubately some of the nutrients (phosphates and sulfates) don't dissolve readily, so now I mix my own recipes from basis chemicals.

o

Here's a link to a fellow's Web site. His name is Daniel and he's a chemist who tinkers with hydroponics. I'm sure he'll be able to help you; he's pretty sharp.

http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/

o

First of all, ammonia would increase your pH, an ammonia salt would reduce your pH. The difference is that an ammonia salt contains the ammonium ion NH4(+) which is acidic while aqueous ammonia is just NH3 (which is a base) dissolved in water.

Anyway, adding ammonia or ammonium to a nutrient solution to change pH levels is a very bad thing to do. Plants absorb nitrogen as ammonium very rapidly and this causes a very severe toxicity. Never add ammonium to your nutrient solution at levels above 30 ppm. I wrote an article about the different forms of nitrogen plants take, so you can check it out and see the effects ammonium has on plants http://allhydroponics.blogspot.com/2009/02/nitrogen-fertilization-in-hydroponics.html

By the way, thank you for the reference freemangreens !

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything Hydroponics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here