Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmouthboyo

What Hydrophonics for Herbs?

bmouthboyo
10 years ago

Hi Guys,

So my wife and I have quickly learnt that herbs and veg in general does not seem to keep long out here in Thailand, even in the fridge! So I have been looking into setting up a hydrophonic grow area on my rear balcony. Space is limited but it is unused so I could easily cover it with sun netting.

2014-02-23103221copy_zpsfb1899dc.jpg

I have some information on the prices for various setups but I am bit unsure as to which type is best to grow the following:

Cilantro (Corriander)
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
Rosemary
Dill
Mint
Holy Basil, Thai Sweet, Lemon Basil

Basically the herbs could grow back in the UK.

It would be nice to be able to grow other things like tomatoes, spring onion, lettice etc however the main focus for the setup would be a constant supply of fresh herbs listed above.

The setups I have researched are NFT (Nutrient Film Technique), EBB and Flow, DFT (Deep Flow Technique), DRF (Dynamic Rout Flow) nad Drip and Creep. I am edging towards NFT simply because I know people at work that have that setup, although they use it more for greens and leafy salad lettice etc. I should in theory be able to install a 2 Metre NFT Kit found here: http://www.ackhydrofarm.com/products=id9_eng.php?page=idp9_eng.php&accessories_eng=accessories_eng.php, providing it can stradle over the aircon unit (64mm high) with the legs either side. This would cost 6500 baht for setup then I guess nutrients etc.

If anyone could offer any advice I would really appreciate it as I am very new to this way of growing. Cheers thumbsup.gif

Comments (2)