Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ethnobotany

Home-made Nutrients: 'How do you do it?'

ethnobotany
14 years ago

I recently purchased about 3-6 months worth of nutrients for $30.00 to get started with my newly discovered hydroponics hobby (I will add here that I was sucked in to buying the darn nutes because I was consumed in what I call the "Hooked on Ponics newbie-spending-spree") and began contemplating on why the h$!! I paid so much for nutrients which can be extracted from organic matter right outside my door that is, no pun intended, dirt cheap! Considering I enjoy learning about hydroponics and exploring its unkowns and knowns, and that I wish to continue my hobby , I have came up with the conclusion that this price just isn't worth it. I know, I know, my stupidity has really cost me this time ; )

Unless I was growing MJ, nutes sold by reputable companies are way overpriced. Since im mainly growing herbs and some goji plants I need some cheaper way of getting nutrients...

After reading the forum I have found posts stating that some of you create your own nutrients... I would LOVE you to bestow your intelligence upon me, concerning the art of nutrient creation... please.. make it as simple as possible as I am still a newbie. Include exact elements and proportions if at all possible.

I appreciate any help here!

Comments (7)

• gmcd
    14 years ago

General Purpose Hydroponic Nutrient Solution Formulation, this is from the growing edge magazine.

in 2 x 1 litre of water mix Part A in one and B in the other

Calcium nitrate 131g
    Potassium nitrate 26g
    Iron chelate 5g

Part B
    Potassium nitrate 26g
    Monopotassium phosphate 36g
    Magnesium sulfate 66g
    Manganese sulfate 1.2g
    Zinc sulfate .11g
    Boric acid .39g
    Copper sulfate .03g
    Ammonium molybdate .01g

There are differnet formulars for different plants and various stages of there growth i.e flowering / fruiting

• ethnobotany
    Original Author
    14 years ago

right on that helps some. any ideas of where i can get those nutrients?

• grizzman
    14 years ago

Read here for calculating various components for a nutrient. If you find Daniel's information useful, I encourage you to pay the $4 for his ebook. All the information in a printable form. A couple of recipes too. And $4 is a pretty cheap education. PS: No I am not affiliated with him :D

This site will also help you construct nutrient forumlas. Also, in reading this site, there is some assistance in where to locate the compounds.
    I bought what I'm using from a local lanscape supply company. Also look for greenhouse, garden, and/or farm suppliers in the yellow pages. A lot of times, the local feed and seed companies can get you this stuff too.

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

peeeeeeeerfect! Thanks!!!

• gmcd
    14 years ago

this site also has a few formulars

As for where to get the chemical, well I am not from america so someone else might be able to help more but calcium nitrate can often be brought at large garden centres / farm supply stores as can Potassium nitrate and Iron chelate, magnesium sulphate can be brought at the chemist (ask for epsom salts) the rest try ebay or maybe you have a place that sells chemicals to the public where you live.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

I would suggest to anyone who is on his way to compose and make own nutrients, to rather draw on unlimited than on limited resources. When I went to the process of learning from scratch, I discovered that there were several methods and ways of proceeding. I finally came to make a synthesis of a few methods that seemed easiest and did fit my existing skill- and toolset best.

With all these websites, you have a bit what you can observe at this and other forums: different people see and handle things quite differently but with similar (or decent) outcomes and results. Look for accordance and similarities but keep in mind that they still could provide from one and only (accurate or inaccurate) source. In fact, a lot of the info found on several web pages is accurate and valid, unfortunately some is antiquated and outdated as well.

Most importantly: Look for a simple and practicable methodology (technique) and don't be too impressed or discouraged by expert talk of chemists (or alike) that can't keep their specific knowledge which isn't actually vital for the basic process, out of the equation. Do your calculus for formulas with a spreadsheet (either purchased or self-made nutrient calculator) , it makes things MUCH more transparent and a WAY easier!

• ethnobotany
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys : )