Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raweseus

Some Strange Questions...

raweseus
10 years ago

So I use distilled water for my plants, and it comes out of distiller with no dissolved O2 so I dissolve O2 into it. Have any of you felt like water looks somehow thicker with the O2 in it? And how somehow, there's more surface tension?

Also, how many of you would actually put a few drops of your hydro nutes into distilled water and call it mineral water? Would you drink it?

Comments (3)

• PupillaCharites
    10 years ago

Mineral water from natural aquifers is quite different in composition than hydro nute, so I would just call it nutrient solution. That said, I make my own fertilizer now and did make a gallon of my special Gatorade according to the original recipe. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand and it cost about a nickel to make plus the water. MKP is the secret to both bloom and good Gatorade.

I drank the whole gallon and then made another becasue it was good, but the second one I flavored with some lime. I was careful to not overdo it. Using Technical grade or worse yet agricultural grade can have some heavy metals accumulate if you pigged out on the stuff.

I have not noticed any viscosity change in the water due to . 8 mg/L is not much oxygen to be able to affect the rheological properties of the water as you wonder, though I suppose anything is possible if it interfered with the chemical ordering of the water itself. That's 30 mg of oxygen per gallon, btw, a pinch of coffee grinds.

Let me give you an alternate explanation of low-O2 water coming out of a distillation flask, in which you are actually right, at least you correlate. Water is distilled by boiling usually, and the solubility of other gases, including oxygen is vastly reduced to essentially nothing as it boils. So, the water coming out of the distillation flask is hot. At high temperature water is very thin compared to cool temperatures. Specifically, water is about 5 times thicker when the liquid is near freezing than it is when it is near boiling. And correlated with that is its capacity to hold oxygen. Water can hold triple the amount of oxygen near freezing than it is at 60 C, and probably well over ten times more than near boiling. What that means is if you collect water from a distillation flask, at the high temperature, it will be 5 times thinner near boiling and contain almost no oxygen. As it cools and you can saturate it with up to 15 mg/L near freezing, it gets 5 the times thicker. So, the capacity to dissolve oxygen in water increases dramatically as the water is cooled and this correlates with a huge increase in viscosity. They are bother *temperature* dependent, though so it is only a correlation, and water with an oxygen deficit is likely to have the same viscosity as saturated water at the same temperature. But if you are just collecting it from a hot distillation flask, as it cools and oxygen diffuses into it, it certainly gets thicker, and if when you actively add oxygen you are probably enhancing this by cooling it quicker!

• raweseus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha home made Gatorade sounds great. MKP is Mono Potassium Phosphate right? I've never heard of the acronym before and had to google it so not sure if right.

Ohh yes, the temperature difference would definitely explain the change in viscosity rather than the 8mg/L of O2.

• PupillaCharites
    10 years ago

Right, that's the one, MKP, is the principal source of phosphorus for many hydroponic fertilizers and also used in biotech for its pH buffering ability and being non-toxic to living cells.

While heavy metals such as lead are allowed in somewhat higher levels in agricultural grade fertilizers than food grade ingredients, and pose a health risk if you drank it regularly, but low levels of heavy metals are usually not a problem and are in many things we routinely eat without that fact being brought to our attention.