Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which hydroponics system for which veggie ?

Posted by samshine none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 5:36

Hi there.

I'm relatively new in hydroponics, I've build several DWC, DRIP, NFT systems that learnt me alot about what I do not know :-).

Now I'm facing a situation since a few weeks for wich I can't find any answer on the web ( I'm probably not dealing with the correct key words here, anyway.. ).

I'm willing to grow many veggies at home, from strawberries to carrots.

Which are the best hydroponics systems for which veggies ?

Any help welcome !

Thank you in advance for your help.
sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which hydroponics system for which veggie ?

I think you'd have to define "best" before your question could be answered. Money is typically the issue - what works the best is usually cost-prohibitive on a commercial scale. If you want to know what method can work profitably for each vegetable, then look at what commercial growers are doing.

As for what is best in regard to systems, high-pressure aeroponics offers the highest potential oxygen percentage in the root zone. That should in theory be best for every plant. But there are 101 other growing variables, each of which are hurdles that must be crossed before the benefits of such an advanced system could be realized. Your question is a good one, but it's very theoretical. If you want to know what works on a practical level, look at existing commercial growers.

This post was edited by Cole_Robbie on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 13:25

o

Is it possible to start seeds in a hydroponic system. Mine uses lava rock for medium with felt as a "wick" into the water which has a bubbler. Can I just put the seeds on the felt to start them?

o

Probably. If it is quick to sprout there shouldn't really be a problem. A slow germinating seed might have more of an issue though tending to rot before it sprouts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here