Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msgreenfinger

Just ptransplanted houseplants from soil to hydro

MsGreenFinger GW
10 years ago

Hi,
I just repotted some of my houseplants into clay instead of soil. I understood they need be kept in a clear plastic bag for couple of days/weeks (?) to encourage new root growth and avoid shock. So the question is, how long they need to be in the bag and how will I know when they are ready. After more than a week, there's no sign of any stress on them.
My other question is, when can I start adding fertiliser to the water? I would let the roots grow for a while as I dont want to burn them. And what should I use? I live in Ireland and I found it really hard to get hydro stuff so I might need to order online from the UK.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• PupillaCharites
    10 years ago

"I don't add nutrient solution for approximately 4 weeks, only water. The plant will be very sensitive until it has grown a new root system so it will need nurturing for a few weeks, to do this I place the plant into a propagator or place a transparent plastic bag, with air holes, over it to keep the humidity high."

reference: the superb passive houseplant hydroculture website which has steadily risen in popularity.

EDIT:

There ought to be good options in Ireland. Where are you to buy locally? An A+B complete nutrient would work OK for you, though you may need to correct for pH. This place has a relatively normal complete nutrient set for hydro (careful to not get the soil version), for example, Dutch Pro Original A+B for coco/hydro and they have shops in Dublin (City Centre or Glasnevin), Cork and near Newbridge. Give them a call if nearby, and just keep in mind like on the first link, that guy is good and only needs the most basic complete hydroponic fertilizer (like Dutch Pro A+B is), and the hydro shops will tend to push supplemental products with all kinds of extra bells and whistles for obsessive growers, and growers of very high value crops.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 11:50

• MsGreenFinger GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how on Earth you found this? All my google searches for hydro shops ended up with no useful results :S I'm in the Dublin area. I've been to almost all the garden centres nearby and in most of them the the staff had no clue about what hydroponics is.
    And it was the very same houseplant hydroculture website where I got the info about how to treat them plants. But it wasn't clear, how long they need be in the bag. So 4 weeks and I take them out and start fertilising. Same for orchids and bromeliads?

• PupillaCharites
    10 years ago

Maybe I found that link because I still haven't washed off my good-luck St. Patrick's Day T-shirt I'm using in the garden mud outside;-) Here's another one if you are on the north side near Coolock:

Bio Nova Nutri Nova A +B

It's another quality A+B liquid complete fertilizer, from Holland coincidentally also. These are both liquid fertilizers that are base fertilizers and all you should need with the possible exception of a little pH adjustment. The hydro shops aren't too likely to have economical powdered fertilizers because there isn't much margin in them so another option would be mail order for them if you find the liquid nutrients costly. Like the site says, most powdered plant foods are not complete fertilizers, so it is important you do what you are doing and getting a complete, soluble (hydroponic) fertilizer. One thing for these liquid products is they are convenient to use.

As for how long it needs to be in plastic, I'd just use the site as a guide since he's the expert and seems purposefully vague. If you have high humidity less time, if you beat up the roots a lot maybe more time to recover, but I might "change the air" once a day briefly at a non-stressful time if the holes were negligible, just to make sure no mold started (I live in humid mildewy Florida so probably am obsessive about this). Looks like things are working out well so far so you are probably getting confident already... Also if you notice any new growth, be flexible, it wouldn't hurt to work up to the hydroponic fertilizer instead of starving the plant for a month and then zapping the root system with fertilizer salt stress. IMO better say to put in say, 1/3 strength after 2-3 of weeks, 2/3's say by the month, and then work up to full strength. The plant will stress from abrupt changes in nutrient, gradual is usually best...

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:43