Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to hydroponics

Posted by pcola27 FL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 9:28

Greetings all,
And thanks for this forum. I have been reading it all morning and it is wonderful! I am dipping my toes into hydroponics and have choosen the bato bucket system. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. I have purchased 2 resevoirs rubbermain rough totes 35 gal each. I have two because my learning determined I need different nutrient for greens vs veggies. Is that true? I plan on 8 buckets and yes we are making the system ourselves! We plan to put it in out screen room in Fl that faces south east. Do screens affect sunlight?

Sorry so many questions. I am hoping to plant lettuce, 2 types, tomatoes, red peppers, jalpenos, snow peas, asapargus, and various herbs in one bucket. Am I planning ok to far? Are any compatible for one resevoir or another? I am leaning towards hydroton for the containers, any better ideas? I also purchased how to hydroponic by Keith Roberto, great book by the way.

The information I have read on this forum has been very knowledgable and helpful! Thanks again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to hydroponics

Yes greens and veggies take different amounts of nutrients. The greens will need more nitrogen, while the veggies will need more phosphorus and potassium.

The screen shouldn't affect the plants growth, as long as no trees are in the way. It will also help keep larger bugs out, but you will still need to watch for the smaller bugs(thrips,spider mites,ect.)

You will want to put your lettuce, peas and herbs on one reservoir and all the other veggies on the other. I'm guessing you system will be flood and drain? Hydroton works great, but since it will be outside in hot weather, I recommend mixing some coco coir in the hydroton so the medium will hold moisture longer. Otherwise, you will be flooding once or twice an hour. Hope this helps.

o
RE: New to hydroponics

Thank you urbangardenfarmer!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here