Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biggyboy

Flood table medium choice

biggyboy
10 years ago

Hi there!
I have set up a 4'x3' flood and drain table in my basement, to grow lettuce, spinach and Swiss Chard.
I have the tables setup with a cover plate over the table that has 14 holes cut into it to hold 14 4.5 inch pots. There is a 6 tube T8 6500 florescent fixture for lighting.
I have the "Dutch Nutrient Formula" (DNF) two part liquid nutrient.

I'm trying to decide what to go with for medium. I have pee gravel and I have Coco coir (Peat). I'm leaning towards the gravel. I'd like to experiment and try both, to compare them head to head.
But that would be hard to do, the gravel would need more cycles flood cycles then the peat. The peat would need less nutrient then the gravel... So it looks like I need to pick one over the other. I have started the seeds in the 1.5 inch A OK rock-wool blocks. and will transfer them into the 4.5 inch pots.

If I do go with the gravel would 4 cycles be enough to keep the roots from drying out too much? It would make sense that pee gravel would hold less moisture then clay balls would. And I believe, if using the clay ball (Hydroton) the number of cycles in a day is 4. I currently have the pots full of pea gravel and the pump timer set to run every 3 hours for 8 minutes. The total cycle time for a fill and drain is 16.5 minutes. That's 8 minutes to fill and 8.5 to drain.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Glen

This post was edited by Astaroth on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 21:48

Comments (5)