Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
art3427

Nutrients $$$

art3427
13 years ago

OK, I think I've got the build side down pat. It ain't rocket science and it doesn't seem to be an expensive project. Then I started researching nutrients. WOW - what a shock! One 2 part material I've seen recommended several times (B'Cuzz) is $95.00 for a 2 gallon kit. That's more than I spend on seed and fertilizer for an entire season in my container garden. How much solution will this kit mix? How long will it last?

Right now I have 176 square feet of planting surface in my containers. I spend about $25 - 30 a year on fertilizer plus a lot of homemade compost. I grow about 6 months out of the year. My goal is to be able to produce enough fresh veggies for the wife and I too eat substantially from the garden. I'm hoping hydro will give me a year round growing season.

What do some of you guys spend a year on nutrients? How does your nutrient expense relate to crop production as compared to a similarly efficient dirt farm method?

I'm trying to figure out if going hydro is cost effective in terms of our total grocery bill. If I can produce tomatoes for $1.00 a pound now in the dirt, switch to hydro and get 4 times as many tomatoes but my cost goes to $1.25 pound, I've lost money.

Anybody all ready been through all this and figured it out? I'd love to hear about your finding/conclusions.

art

Comments (10)

• bbrush
    13 years ago

Like you I just didn't find it cost effective to buy nutrients so I started making my own, the initial output can be expensive as you need to buy all the micro nutrients and they can be a bit pricey i.e 100g Ammonium molybdate cost me about 25.00 euro but to make 20 litres of solution (concentrated - would last me close to a year) I only need .2 grams.

Someone here posts about a product where I believe you only need to add calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate, can't remember the name of it though.

• homehydro
    13 years ago

Hello art3427,
    I don't grow in dirt anymore sense I moved to the desert, so I can't really compare cost of one VS another. But I'm always looking to more cost effective ways of doing things. For me it is really more cost effective to grow in hydro because for me to grow in soil I would need to build raised beds to grow in. I can build hydro systems cheaper than to build the raised beds. Much less all the potting soil to fill it with, and fertilizers to water it with.

How long any nutrient will last you depends on many factors, like how large your reservoir is, how many reservoirs you need, type of systems, how many plants you grow, how often you change your nutrient solution etc. etc. etc..

Anyhow I have been using Verti-Gro. It's a 2 part nutrient, first part is the "hydroponic formula" (fertilizer) the second part is the "calcium nitrate." Both come as a dry mix, you mix 2 pounds each separately into one gallon water jugs. At that point you have both parts pre-mixed as a liquid concentrate (instructions are on the label). Then to make the nutrient solution you mix 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons (10mL to 15mL) of each part per gallon of water. The label says 1/2 to 3/4 ounces per gallon (1 fluid oz = 30mL). So half a fluid oz is 15 mL (1 Tbsp).

This is exactly what I have been using:
    2 lbs. 5-10-25 Hydroponic Formula, SKU#: F510252, Unit Price: $11.95 (shipping $6.50)
    2 lbs. Calcium Nitrate 15-0-0, SKU#: F15002, Unit Price: $8.95 (Shipping $6.00)

This makes 250 gallons of nutrient solution mixed per instructions, more if you mix it weaker. I find a little weaker is usually better, especially the hotter it is. For $20.90 + shipping $12.50 Total: $33.40. But they also have the combo package: Nutrient Combo 4 lbs ea. 5-10-25 & 15-0-0, SKU#: FCombo, for $39.95 (shipping included) $6.50 more than buying them the other way but it makes twice as much.

That makes about 500 gallons of nutrient solution for about $40. Much better price wise than the GH flora series that I was using, and makes about 340 gallons when mixed at the manufactures recommendation of 10mL (2 tsp) per gallon, and costs about $110-$120 to have shipped to me.

But you get even better value if you buy the 25 pound quantity's of the Verti-Gro. If you buy the 25 pound quantity, it runs about$120-$130 for both parts, and includes shipping. But it's enough to make 5000 gallons of nutrient solution mixed per instructions (more if mixed weaker). If you went through 1000 gallons of nutrient solution per year (83 gallons a month, 20 a week), that would be enough to last you for 5 years. I don't know what or how much you plan to grow, but that will grow a LOT of food.

• homehydro
    13 years ago

Also keep in mind that you don't need a full strength nutrient solution until the plants are big enough, something like 1/4 for seedlings, and 1/2 strength for beginning plants. Then once they get big enough to really start taking off go to 3/4 or full strength.

• jean-luc
    13 years ago

@ art3427,

I recommend to anyone who is leaving the scale of running several totes for any larger production, to seriously consider making their own custom nutrients from raw components.

If making batches of the order of 1-2 gallons of 2 component concentrate, buying raw materials at retail prices (instead of wholesale 25 lbs or plus bags) I turn around these figures:

Concentrate for 1000 liter (264 US gallon) of final solution at around 2.0 EC cost me less than 4 USD. Well, I have access to somewhat cheaper prices here in Thailand than you have in the US and EU, but I have made the research how much it would cost when living in the US instead, and found that best available Wholesale prices, correspond about to what I pay for raw materials in retail. If buying retail (cleverly) in the US, you probably would end up with around 5 USD per 100-150 gallon of final solution (at EC 2.0) depending on composition and choice of micros/chelates.

Making a long story short: with custom made nutrients from scratch, you can simply drop calculating the price of nutrients and go on with taking care of the actually "expensive stuff" and other running costs you need to consider to expand your venture ;-)

PS: be prepared to see fertilizer prices (and related products like nutrients from shelf) raise considerably in the future, as their market value is strongly linked to energy prices (production and transportation). I you have the funds and the space, make stocks ;-)

Cheers,

Jean-Luc

• homehydro
    13 years ago

For someone new to hydroponics such as art3427 is, they will have enough of a learning curve to deal with at first (even if they grow well in soil), without adding the complexity's of making your own nutrients. As well as the initial costs of buying everything needed, including needing to buy quantity's of each element. That's kind of like putting the cart before the horse. Start with a tried and true nutrient first, and experiment later.

Luches mentions he can make 1000 liters (264 gallons) of nutrient solution for about $4. Buying the nutrients as I described, comes out to less than $7 for the same amount. Is it really worth it to go through all effort of learning what you need to make your own?

$130 (max) makes 5000 gallons (again shipping is included in that price) but if you live near the manufacturer and buy it from their store, you can drop the price by about $40

$130 divided by 5000= 0.026
    0.026 X 264= $6.86

The only real benefit to making your own is the ability of making a custom blend (unless you need huge quantities). No point in having quantities of raw elements sitting on your shelf if their not getting used either. But if you are interested in custom blends there are company that create them for similar prices. So unless you want to become a chemist, and really have the desire to create your own blends now. Use a tried and true nutrient first, then experiment and deal with that learning curve later. No need to complicate things for new hydro growers at this stage of the game.

• bbrush
    13 years ago

Mixing X grams of A, X grams of B, X grams of C in X litres of water is hardly rocket science. Its literally no more difficult than following a cooking recipe.

• homehydro
    13 years ago

I have found hydro recipes, but there is a whole host of issues that can be a problem if you don't fallow a chemistry recipe to the letter. And from what I understand exact ingredients in a hydro recipe aren't always available, or economical. Not to mention that a specific grade of element can make a big difference in the final product. Also from what I understand you cant just say add 6 grams of calcium, because all the elements have 2 elements like "calcium nitrate" or say magnesium sulfate.

If the recipe calls for magnesium sulfate, and all you have available to use is say magnesium chloride or magnesium nitrate, the results of the final product wont be the same. If you called a place and asked how much their calcium was, they would probably try to sell you something like calcium nitrate. But if you tell them you don't want the nitrate, just the calcium, they wouldn't have it. Each and every element is like that. If it were as simple as mix 2 eggs, one cup of flower, and 1 tsp of baking soda, there would be no need for programs like hydroponic nutrient calculators. You remember Daniel "Free Hydroponic Nutrient Calculator App" thread don't you? There was a lot of discussion of such things making a difference, and Daniel is a chemist. Fallowing an exact recipe is one thing when you have the exact ingredients, and the proper measuring equipment. But creating your own custom blend's, or trying to deal with available raw elements, and their various grades is quite another.

I'm not saying there isn't a time to decide to make your own, heck I plan to some day as well. But making a mistake can have a devastating effect, even cost money, as well as wasted time if the plants suffer or die from it (for both a new or experienced hydro growers alike). For somebody who is so focused on producing product from their plants, and cheaper than what they can already do in soil, adding so many variables of potential problems doesn't seem wise. Especially when the cost savings seems minimal to me. So minimal in fact, I probably wont bother making my own anytime soon (even if I have the money for the materials), I'd rather grow plants. Even then I would want to test them on small batches of plants until their proven to be just as good as commercially made products. Why need to worry when you can start with a cost effective, tried and true nutrient to begin with.

Even if you had a large commercial farm growing produce, it's still cost effective to have a custom blend made for you by a manufacturer. That's what a lot of farms do. I can see if you wanted to test different recipes on the same type of plants, and in a controlled test to evaluate results, where making small batches of different recipes (and eventually large ones) would be useful. But anyone new to growing hydroponically isn't there yet.

• grizzman
    13 years ago

southernAG, if you're in the southern US, sells a hydroponic fertilizer. Its like $25 for a 25lb bag (+ shipping). I bought it locally from a landscape supply company for $35. I'm sure other regional fertilizer producers manufacture a similar product.
    This link will open their catalog as a pdf. it should be listed on page 6. you'll also need greenhouse grade calcium nitrate (50lbs was around $50 from same local company)and epsom salts ($2 at pharmacy). Its not perfect, but I find it a happy medium between completely building your own and buying the hydro specialty stuff.
    To date, I've gone through more giving it to people than I have growing plants.

• jean-luc
    13 years ago

Nahhhhhh...

Making your own nutrients is in fact childishly simple! If someone experienced really teaches you how to do it in PRACTICE without holding anything back, you'll have the knack of it in a day! I bet a 5th grader is able to repeat it in the afternoon, when learning it before lunch. The first day I'll teach you how to make a decent tomato formula and an economic lettuce formula for hot climate... If you can take all that, I'll show you how to mix an almost exact copy of GH flora nova series using only 2 components before sundown. LOL

Why is the process of making nutrients that mystified by those who have never done it - and conventionalized and described like being as easy as a duck takes to water, by those who do it on a regular bases? Think about it! LOL
    And it is not that I can't put myself in other's shoes (anymore) - I remember too well screwing my first batch (actually 2x 2 gallons of concentrate) totally up, - so what!? I started all over again after an espresso and a smoke or two. Success means getting up one more time than you were decked, don't you guys say that over there? ;-)

Btw: Most (if not all) dry mixes are a manufacturer's compromise and merely limited to a small range of formulas. Typically, you can't increase K without boosting P in the same time. Your Ca ratio is limited as well because a fix part on N is provided without calcium and thus you can't increase Ca without altering the N ratio. Sorry for getting a bit technical here, but I don't know how to frame such actually technical limitations differently. As a matter of fact, you simply are rather limited with this choice.

Hence, why should anyone favour a product or method that is limited to "close range combat" to a strategy which is as half as expensive and nearly unlimited in the choice of weapons? ;-)

Not even mentioning the fun part and the satisfaction you may get from making your own nutrients. No risk, no fun - or as we use to say here in Thailand: "no money - no honey" LOL!

PS: And HANDS OFF of any "nutrient calculator", before you haven't finished your first batches based on simple recipes. Because that's the kind of thing that has the potential to panic and scare even the hard boiled veteran away! I am able to use them, but you need steady nerves - and they DO NOT teach you how to make nutrients in any way. Trust me on this...

Cheers,
    Jean-Luc

• hardclay7a
    13 years ago

I find Daniel's nutrient calculator to be a great learning tool even when not making my own nutrient formulas completely from scratch.
    Sure, it may look scary to the beginner, but some beginners may not have a lot of math or chemistry savvy and would be scared away otherwise.
    The original poster seems more concerned with cost practicality more than anything and I can fully understand that.
    A while back I was entering every commercial product on my shelf into my Hydrobuddy V.1.01. As most of you may know, this requires entering Guaranteed analysis and converting $ per X into $ per Kg. I was shocked to find out that Technaflora Root 66 is $79.49 per Kg.(somewhere around $300 per gallon). It doesn't take Rocket science to figure out that that's probably more expensive than the stuff NASA uses to launch the space shuttle! What's it made of? Ascophyllium Kelp, Iron EDTA, and Boric acid. Guaranteed Analysis; 1% Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 1% Phosphorus, 1% Potassium, 0.05% Iron, 0.05% Boron and 96.9% of the most expensive water money can buy! I'm sure I have considered making more ridiculous purchases in my life, however I can't remember when. Furthermore, I never use the stuff. It simply sits on my shelf collecting dust. A 250 Ml. bottle of it was included in a $30.00 starter kit I purchased about two years ago. Who actually buys this stuff? It doesn't take long for the beginner to realize that these products are being marketed for persons growing a much more profitable species of plant. No one in there right mind would ever spend so much to grow produce for the family using such ludicrously over priced products. The commercial nutrient manufacturers have simply zeroed in on a segment of the population making such huge profits that the growers cost of operation is not of much importance. It seems these growers have plenty of extra cash to spread around. It's simply a legal method of capitalizing those who choose to profit illegally, but at least they're collecting taxes.
    But for the beginning produce grower all is not gloom. There are some affordable products on the market for those who are not ready to start making there own. General Hydroponics Maxigro, Maxibloom and Floramato can be acquired through many hydro shops. Also look into Eco Enterprises, Plant Marvel Industries and those listed by the posters above. You are looking for water soluble (dry) nutrients. Some of these products may require the addition of Magnesium, Sulfer and Calcium. That may save you even more money if you can obtain a source of water soluble Calcium. Magnesium Sulfate is dirt cheap in the form of Epsom salt.
    These can often be measured by volume with adequate accuracy although you may want to measure by weight with a .01 digital scale or purchase an EC/PPM/TDS meter although this isn't totally necessary but that's up to you. It's far more important to have a method of measuring Ph. Indicator solution works for me.
    Good Luck;
    ~Ken~

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm