Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using well water. Should I bypass softener or not?

Posted by vipvenom FL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 11:57

I was just wondering what you other well guys do. I have been using my water after the softener without negative results as far as I can tell. Should I keep using like I am or should I take it before the softener?

I used to use RO water but I was making 100gal per week and it was just too convenient to use my house water.

I tested my water and it has 1PPT salt in the water. I used my aquarium refractometer (very accurate).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using well water. Should I bypass softener or not?

It is beneficial to use the water BEFORE the softener. It's all usefull calcium and magnesium, and the softener replaces them with sodium. Besides, you can take the water's ppm into account when mixing your nutrient.

o

I don't use well water but I've used RO and a water softener. In both instances, I used a supplement called calmag.

o

I would say it depends on the particular softener and how drastic your water is in the first place.

I don't really like softened water personally so I shut mine off. Besides that, some softeners seem to add more sodium to the water than others.

I found that my well water, being hard, made it difficult to keep the pH low enough for my hydro cucumbers. If I used rain water in the hydro system, the pH was much easier to control.

You could try either way and see how it goes. The well water will be more likely to leave calcium deposites on the equipment.

The pre-mixed nutrient products usually have most of what they need so unless you have one formulated for hard water, you probably don't need the added calcium from the well.

Now that I'm into Aquaponics, the hard water is actually a good thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: My hydro page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here