Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilting plants

Posted by rrothrock Virginia (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 12:35

I have just transferred some plants to a hydroponic setup (my first try at this) about 1 week ago. The plants took to their new home OK at first, but in the last few days they are wilting more and more. I suspect it is lack of oxygen, but I wanted to seek out some other opinions.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilting plants

You could get a TDS (total dissolved solids) tester to see if you are starving your plants, or burning them with too much nutrients. Also, check your pH and make sure it's in the right range, maybe 6.5? Lastly, are the roots getting wet? I know that seems simple but it's another thing to check. Good luck.

o

Hi Rrothrock,

I doubt if you are starving your plants, but it is quite likely that you are burning them with too much nutrient as Klein above suggests. When the pH is severely out of range, you might be burning them, but if the pH is out of the range of 6.4 plus or minus about 0.3, your plants will generally stop active growth as they are unable to obtain soluble Iron.

To see an explanation for this, please see my Australian web site below.

If you save each page as its own name, on to your computer, all in the one directory, then you will be able to navigate from page to page when you are off-line.

Go to the page "Plant Foods" and see what it says about Iron in the "Minor Elements".
Then go 3/4 of the way down the "FAQ" page and look at "What is the Importance of Iron in Plant Growth?"

Cheers,
Jimr007
Australia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Sand Hydroponics

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 7:53

Why do you suspect it is lack of oxygen? Are you using an air stone? Also, what was the transfer from water to nutrient solution, soil based to water, or soil to nutrient solution? Were any roots damaged in the transfer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here