Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vipvenom

what do you do with your nutrient concentration during hot summer

vipvenom
16 years ago

It is getting hotter everyday in FL. Summer is just around the corner and I wanted to know what do you do with your nutrient concentration levels when the weather heats up?

I have read that when you top off the lost water you should have half the nutrients. What are your thoughts?

TIA,

Chris

Comment (1)

• plantboy_grower
    16 years ago

Yea I'm wondering too as I live in central FL. As I plan a larger outdoor system I am considering digging a hole in the ground for the reservoir to help keep it colder.

I have been told to just add water throughout the week, then change at the end of the week. And I guess the trick is to make it so that you barely have enough water in there by the time you change, so that no money has been wasted. This is what I'm learning to do with my indoor tomoatos right now. The 5 gallon bucket I have allows the water level to be pumped out very near to the top of the pump - doesn't take much water in there because the tray filled with pebbles only takes two gallons to flood it, and only about 1/2 gallon is needed to cover the pump, so I can run from 4 or 5 gallons at the beginning of the week and check the PH during the week, running down to about 1.5 gallons that I keep topped of by the end of the week, then change out the nutrient.

All that said, I think what you are talking about is perhaps not changing out the nutrient as frequently and topping off what was replaced? I would think it'd be best to keep the nutrient as near the original levels as possible unless there is danger of too much of one element being present by adding more nutrient. I think that's why the general advice I've seen is to top off with water during the week - keeping in mind that there is nutrient that will come back into the water a little bit from the growing medium throught the week. I think this is why it's best to have a lower overflow level on an ebb and flow system for example so that the water can circulate a little bit extra during the flood stage.

So far this week my nutrient concentration has remained the same as the water level has gone way down - indicating to me that my plants are eating as well as drinking :)

So I'd like to get this level of efficiency with nutrients when I do some larger scale outdoor stuff. My major concern is how to keep the nutrient at 72 - 74 F in Florida. Honestly though it's tough to grow in midsummer in FL, I guess it depends what you're growing and if you're using shade cloth - but I like you want to try it.