Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wardend_gw

Transplanting

wardend
17 years ago

I am new to hydroponics as you might guess by the questions I have. I have two General Hydroponics Rainforest 236's with the modular lid conversion to make them Rainforest 66's. I also have a 12 bucket ebb and flow system. This setup allows me to transplant the seedlings to larger (2" to 6" to 8" containers.

I am germinating several varieties from seed in the Rainforests with a range of success. I have a couple questions:

1) What should I use as a criteria to move the young plants to larger containers? Is there a limit on the extent of root growth into the nutrient broth (ie is that what I should be looking for more than actual plant size)?

2) Many of these seedlings will be replanted into the ebb and flow system (Hydroton clay pebbles) and soil. Do you have any suggestions to avoid shock/loss due to media change?

Ray

Comments (10)

• tclynx
    17 years ago

I'm still kinda new to this too but I move seedlings from my propagation set up (usually foam egg cartons with holes punched in bottom) to the larger size containers bassed on one of two things. Either they get a pair of true leaves or, their roots are starting to come out of the egg cartons so I want to move them before I would be doing too much root damage. My experience is mainly with lettuce, salad crops, peas, turnips, and radishes.

As for shock. Keep the nutrient weak right after transplanting and gradually bring it up to desired strength since too strong a nutrient may burn transplants. Perhaps some extra attention and top watering untill the roots reach the nutrient?

that's just my two cents.

• wardend
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Rainforest that I am using is an aeroponics system and the roots extend down through their pot, throught the "mist" area and (in some cases quite some distance, ie 4 to 5 inches) into the nutrient broth. Many of the seedlings have extended down into the broth and grew their first set of "real" leaves in only a few days. So at 10 days I have some plants that are four inches tall and have both substantial root and leaf systems.....pretty amazing, I think. My problem seems to be that they are growing so well that the root growth will be long enough that I will need to transplant them into the ebb and flow without damaging the root system. I just never expected to have such long root structures.

What kind of system do you transplant into?

Ray

• robski1971
    15 years ago

if you start your seeds or clones in rock wool do you put the rockwool cube in the hydroton net pots or do you put the seed/clipping directly in the hydroton, NEW to bubbleponics please advise!!!! LOVE THE SYSTEM but not sure how to start seeds in hydroton!

• grower_3b
    15 years ago

I was under the impression that starting them in rockwool and then placing that into the net pot with the hydroton was the way to go.
    Good luck.

• robski1971
    15 years ago

thanks, looking forward to the new hobby!!!

• nateb123
    15 years ago

hmmmm...
    Your Q is kind of confusing, no offense
    Rockwool or perfect starts are the way to go when starting seeds and cuttings. Dont know why you want to move them around so much, unless you plan on having really huge plants. Ive seen 10' trees grown in 8 in pots http://www.bonsaihunk.us/pic/Hydroponics.jpg In most cases nothing larger than a 4in pot is needed.
    Just move them once into whatever size pot you think is big enough and let them grow
    Every time you move them you will be risking damage and roots are very delicate. Use 1/4 strength nutrient and soft lighting and check them often to make sure they are getting enough moisture.
    The roots are going to grow down into the res and should be partially submerged This way, should the pump fail they will have access to moisture

Here is a link that might be useful: alternative-innovation.com

• willardb3
    15 years ago

One of the advantages of hydro is that roots don't need the space they do in dirt.

This chile grew for about a year in a 3" net pot....

• organicpepper_grower
    15 years ago

What type of chile is that? The root sysytem is huge!

• willardb3
    15 years ago

The chile is a yellow bird, a chinense.

• imeca
    14 years ago

Reading this thread makes me realize that I got net pots WAY bigger than I needed to lol.

I think my tomato seedlings are going to be ready to enter my DWC system soon.