Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many add trace elements on top of hydroponic nutrients?

Posted by vipvenom FL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 08 at 13:33

I have just been doing some research on trace elements needed by plants. My hydroponics fertilizer contains all of the 11 traditional trace elements except for tin, cobalt, and iodine. How would these affect plant growth? I am getting decent yields and am not that conserned but I always want to do stuff the best way possible. If you use trace element additives what results did you see?

On a side note I wonder if adding a multivitamin to hydroponics would benefit the plants in any way? Has anyone ever tried this?

TIA,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many add trace elements on top of hydroponic nutrients?

Multivitamins is an interesting thought I've never pondered.
The only time I added any additional elements to my plants is when I was growing squash. I bought some Pro-Tekt silicon solution. I'd read you should add that the cuke family for better yield. It didn't help. they just wouldn't produce for me. Reflecting back, I believe it was more an oxygen starvation situation. I haven't tried to grow them again though.

o

That's what makes sewage sludge grow plants so good...all the un-digested multi vitamins! Seriously I did read an article somewhere saying that was so and have seen the remnants in the sludge with my own eyes. Mom also always adds vitamins to her outdoor tomato pots and always has great tomatoes!

Wasn't going to bring this up here but I am doing a test in a airlift bucket. Two cups of compost for bacterial starter and 1oz per gallon of a liquid multivitamin and mineral supplement meant for people. One tomato plant...

o

I know a lot of the additives have vitamins and enzymes and carbohydrates - this is stuff plants use and make theirselves but if they are readily available it's easier for the plant to thrive - that's what I've been told and from above it seems like there is something to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here