Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bilberrybrian

Article I wrote about pH for hydroponics

bilberrybrian
15 years ago

Hey everyone,

For the past year or so I have been running a website about hydroponic gardening. It wasn't mentioned in any post previously since I didn't want to be accused of spamming. Now I'm beginning to accumulate enough articles and reviews on the website that are (hopefully) interesting and/or informative enough to warrant sharing.

Anyways I wanted to write an article about pH levels for beginning hydroponic gardeners who had limited experience with chemistry. Many questions arise regarding this particular area and this article was my attempt to write something that would prove both popular and helpful. It's written as a sort of abridged chemistry lecture that makes the best effort to be simple, straight forward and very applied towards hydroponic gardening. Hopefully the article is fun to read due to the ways it ties into common hydroponic products that many people may already be using.

So if anyone here would like to look over the article and give me some feedback, good or bad, that would be appreciated.

article:

http://www.bilberrybrian.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=42:hydroponic-gardening&Itemid=64&layout=default

Off the top of my head there's also some reviews on there about a Milwaukee MR32ATC refractometer, Lamotte hydroculture dropper kit, Pete's hydroponic hot sauce, some piece of junk Harbor Freight Greenhouse and I think the book Gardening Indoors with CO2 if anyone happens to be interested in reading more about those.

*** Couple notes about my article ***

I didn't want to discuss the role of pH on nutrient uptake in plants that much. That subject is going to get an article of it's own soon.

I didn't touch several topics like buffering, particular acids/bases that should be avoided, or the difference between pH and molar concentration of acids/bases. Those should probably be included in the next revision.

Feel free to correct grammatical errors. Also, if there is a question that the article left unanswered or something that was presented in a confusing way please let me know so that can be fixed and hydroponics can be made more accessible to everyone!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydro pH levels

Comment (1)