Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lots of roots, plants still small

Posted by tabbycat123 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 13:50

Im new to hydroponics and recently built a dwc system with some seedlings (basil, pepper, cosmo, arugula...what was on hand). They have been in the system for a little over 2 weeks and im not seeing much growth from the plants themselves but the roots are growing great. just wondering what this means, if anything, if it is normal or what i can do to stimulate more plant growth. maybe im just impatient. im using fox farm grow big for nutrients. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lots of roots, plants still small

I've only grown basil hydroponically. It did start quite slow, but that may be normal. It took off after about a month. Peppers are slow as heck too, so it may just be that you are impatient (aren't we all! :))

If you want to jumpstart growth, adding more nitrogen will likely do that. But I bet your plants are just settling in and will have explosive growth in about 2 more weeks.

o

• Posted by andya 6 Indiana (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 17:01

What is your light source?

o

i have a 600w future brite, but the light has been messed up lately, turning off every so often. how could this affect the plants?? thanks

o

• Posted by andya 6 Indiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 12:34

Lots of good light>>>>>big plants

Not so good light>>>>>not so big plants

o

I disagree. If the light it turning off, it will tend to make the plants taller and more leggy than if it was working properly. Plant a seed or move a plant into a corner of your garden room that doesn't get any light to prove it if you don't believe me. The fact that they are staying compact is a sign that they are getting good light imo.

That is, as long as the color of the leaves is still typical. I don't know what cosmo is (other than a magazine my wife reads) but are the rocket, basil and pepper leaves all a deep green color? If so, I stand by the 'wait and see' idea I offered earlier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here