Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackblasto

Hydroton to Soil

jackblasto
10 years ago

I looked online and it seems like everyone wants to know how to go the OTHER way, NOT hydroton to soil... Well, I want to go that way if possible?

I have some tomatoes that are starting nice, want them in my ebb and flow/ flood and drain system in hydroton and once the weather gets nice enough I want to move them outside in soil. By the time the weather is good enough for this it will be a good two months and these tomato plants will be near full size meaning I'm certain that roots will be stuck to the hydroton.

Can I do this? Thanks

Another thought. If I can't easily accomplish this is there some sort of portable way to make the hydro situation? I'm working with 2x2 flood tables that will stay where they are in my basement. Trying to use the outdoor sun when it's nice enough and not use my electricity. These tomato plants are called "better bush" and are made to be container tomato and produce year round so I even intend to move them back inside when the weather gets cold again. I mean if moving them to soil isn't ideal since I'm going to try and move them back after 5 months... could I rig a 5 gallon bucket system of sorts and keep the tomato plants in the net pots they are in? Simply create another hydro system that would work on my porch?

This post was edited by jackblasto on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 15:03

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus