Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roots turning brown

Posted by stansoid (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 15:04

Hey everyone,

I am doing my first experiments with hydroponics.. So far so good, all of my plants have sprouted and are looking very good (on about day 23)..

My concern is this..

I did a nutrient change yesterday.. I switched out the old water with new water and the same levels of nutrients that the plants were at, except, today some of roots on my basil and on my dill have started to turn brown!! I am wondering if anyone has any idea what is going on?

The plants all still look quite good and have grown since yesterday.. There is also a tomato plant which has had no change in its roots..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roots turning brown

Update on that.. The tomato plants roots are starting to show signs of change as well :(

o

A couple of guesses:

1) It could be that there is not enough oxygen in the water that is touching your roots. This is unlikely, since you've suggested that you just changed the water today, and the turbulence involved in changing water usually fully oxygenates it. Are you pumping air into your water?

2) (this is my guess) You used water right from the tap when you replaced your nutrients, and the chlorine in the tap water shocked the roots. It won't kill the roots, but it will tick them off for a day or so. Are you letting tap water sit out for a day before you use it in your hydroponics system?

It could also be pythium, but I've never seen it so can't really help in that dept. Hope it isn't though!

o

I did use tap water... and no I did not allow it time to stand.. That would make sense.. Well hopefully they come around, and then I will not make that mistake again!

Unfortunately, I flushed the water with new water today.. thus likely doubling the problem.

Thanks for the advice.. I will post an update if (when!) they recover.

o

You were right.. The plants just kept on growing and the roots are alright again.. a few of them had to get trimmed off, but the plants are just growing new ones / recovering some of them..

All is well..

Thanks for the advice,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here