Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to regulate Temp For Tomato

Posted by cprint (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 15:15

I was so excited to think I could grow an Early Girl Tomato Plant over the winter by Hydroponics. And now after 3 months, and a number of mistakes, I have learned that I may not ever get any tomatoes. I have yet to figure out how I can maintain 68-75 degree Temperatures during the day and 53 degrees at night. Im hoping someone can tell me their secret to this temperature issue. By the way, I'm growing it inside here in Illinois. Thanks, Everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to regulate Temp For Tomato

Have you tried fish tank heaters?

o

I'm not sure if I'm getting this temperature thing right. Am I supposed to be heating and cooling the air temperature or the water temperature? Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

o

Think of dirt farming! The soil temperature, except for the very top, varies little from day to night. But the air temperature does. Some evenings it may not drop under 70 in the dead of summer, other evenings it may be anywhere from the low 50s to mid-60s. So if your room gets into the low 80s during the afternoon and cools a bit at night, you'll be mimicking the outdoors.

But there is also lots of air movement outside, so be sure you have a fan blowing on the plants for a while each day. And of course, there is the lighting issue and the birds and bees thing. Presuming you have enough lights - the sun provides about 65,000 lumens on a partially overcast day - you can gently shake the plants once blooms appear. Most places say you should do this between 9-11 am. Others have also used a hand massager to stimulate the plants and help pollinate the flowers.

I'm trying to grow Siletz because it is parthenocarpic.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here