Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackblasto

grodan cube grows mold/fungus before seedling emerges/ seed fail

jackblasto
10 years ago

On long starting seedlings does anyone have issues with mold growing on their grodan cube? Will this mold hurt the chance of a seed sprouting? I have read that some peppers take 3 weeks to months to sprout... on most of my quick sprouting plants, like tomatoes and cucumbers I have had no problem with mold but the cubes that sit there for a LONG time with no sprouting seem to get all crusty with mold and never seem to successfully start. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong? I have a tray warmer set to about 74 and its under a dome with humidity at about 80% Maybe this is just a problem with my seeds not being good? I don't know. This is my first year toying with grodan and starting things from seed. Any advice would be great. Thanks

P.S. On the attached photo you can see a grodan cube with a little fungus growing on it (it has been in there for weeks and weeks) but that one actually sprouted... most do not when the cube starts looking all messy like that and yes, on some of my cubes I do have wrap over them as this method made my tomatoes really take off ... maybe doesnt work for peppers?

Comments (2)