Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Material to hold coco coir in grow pots for hydro

Posted by pacchiraku 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 16:00

Hello, I have a recirculating hydro system built with PVC and have 48 holes to fill with strawberries. Question is, since coco coir and LECO rocks (clay balls) work well for aeration, I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a material that works well to hold in the coco coir in the pots without it falling out (using 3" pots for now) and therefore doesn't clog things up but will, most importantly, let the strawberry roots out into the stream of water below? Ideas? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Material to hold coco coir in grow pots for hydro

Have you tried a netpot? When I used coir it didn't tend to move through a 1/2" dia hole. That is not to say any won't fall through, but I don't think most of it will.

o
RE: Material to hold coco coir in grow pots for hydro

• Posted by carb none (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 21:08

Since you are using 3 inch pots, you can try adding clay stones at the bottom, or get one of those insect nets and surround the inside of the pot with it.

But instead of trying to cover each pot, why not just place a filter to where the solution drains? Its easier to maintain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here