Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DWC Hydro Question

Posted by lynndion566 34223 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 16:31

Hi, I am just starting out with DWC set up...Was wondering if nutrient solution needs to come up to top of roots and/or bottom of mesh cup or should there be some space where the roots do not get down to solution. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DWC Hydro Question

DWC in a nutshell...

The system relies upon an air pump and an air stone to bubble air through the nutrient solution. In the beginning you need to generate spray, so as to get the clay pebble medium wet in order to establish the roots through the net pot.

The water has to be high enough to saturate the clay pebble medium by means of getting it wet or even moist via the actions of the bursting air bubbles.

Once the plant has established a good root system, then lower the level of water in the bucket so that some of the roots can be allowed to hang in the air between the net pot and the water level.

o
RE: DWC Hydro Question

Keep in mind that the bubble bursting "spitting" action of the DWC shoots up several inches. Even when the solution level is 6 inches or more from the lid of my system it's still routinely soaking wet on the under side of the lid.

Just start out with the solution level close to the bottom of the pots. Say about 1". I've had it work well higher than that but it's not any better that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here