Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stan_5_1

flora shield

Stan_5_1
19 years ago

I'm looking for a substitute for flora shield or a way to make my own.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• groman
    19 years ago

Hi Stan if I may ask what are you growing which requires FloraShield which is a unique combination of anti-microbial compounds that are active against many fungi and bacteria that cause plant diseases. Used as a general disinfectant for cleanup of tools and growing systems as well as a nutrient reservoir treatment for root protection.If you are having problems because of toxins and I suppose the right question instead of what are you growing would be which system of growing are you using and I will be able to research and give you a good answer
    Thanks Stan and I apologize for others lack of interest in hydroponic growers concerns.

• baci
    19 years ago

I donÂt think others lack an interest in the topic; it is just not an easy question to answer. The ingredients in Flora Shield are a trade secret & neither the description of the product nor the technical safety data sheet says much in terms of what it actually is.

I do not understand its claims for seed cleaning; perhaps the antifungal compounds in the product may help prevent damping off of seedlings. There are other seed products which claim to prevent damping off that contain some derivative of sphagnum. Sphagnum as a hydro media is less associated with fungal problems, but not all seeds or plants can tolerate it. It is acidic. It sounds like it might be an expensive product for equipment cleaning, although it might be useful for cleaning the cutting blade prior to taking a cutting.

It is usually better to make sure the system used is very clean & well regulated before adding substances to treat a problem. Groman makes a good point about evaluating other factors, such as the system, media, plants grown, protection from light, peroxide use, etc.

• Stan_5_1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I use it in the summer months when reservoir temps are harder to control and for preventive measures. Clean up and Clone dip. I have a hobby greenhouse 16x32 that I grow all kinds of stuff in. It is expensive and sometimes hard to get. But at about 25.00 a qt, I was wondering it there wasn't something a little cheaper and in good supply that would work just as good.

Thanks
    Stan

• baci
    19 years ago

I have been reading some older books on hydro, & came across this material on green algae:

"The green algae scum often observed clinging to moist flower pots or in shallow ponds during warm seasons may be composed of a number of individual species. Most of these are very easily killed by small traces of copper, & this element may be added to nutrient solutions for this purpose."

Ellis & Swaney, Soiless Growth of Plants. Scranton, PA; Reinhold Publishing Corp, 1938.

Âon algaeÂ
    "To check this, water occasionally with a solution made up 0.5 of a gramme of copper sulphate dissolved in two gallons of water, or pro rata. If the problem is extensive, waterings may be given every two or three days until the algae disappear."

Douglas, James. Beginners Guide to Hydroponics. NY: Drakes Publishers, 1972.

The copper sulfate could possibly interact with the nutrient, so if you choose to try it, experiment in a separate system so it would not injure the plants in your main growth chamber.

There are also plant teas that soil growers use. I am experimenting with some myself, but I do not know their interaction with the nutrients. I use them in separate systems so I do not hurt my main plants.

• NLG1
    19 years ago

A cheaper version of Flora Shield is Hydroguard from botanicare. It is actually what GH copied to make there product. Hydroguard is the original. It cost $11.95/qt. They also list the ingredients. The product works very well. Go onto www.americanagritech.com for more info.

I've used both products. They work exactly the same, but the pricing is much different.

• Stan_5_1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, just what I was looking for!

Stan

• pmcai05_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello there,

You can use the Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide(35% hydrogen peroxide) as a replacement for Flora Shield.

It HAS to be the strong 35% Hydrogen Peroxide - the cheap 5% stuff you'd put on a cut is just way too weak.

For some reason I thought that Botanicare stopped making the hydroguard but I may be wrong. If Hydroguard is still being made, than that is also a good product.

I honestly have gotten just as good of results with the 35% peroxide though - and it actually gives you water a little boost of Oxygen (which is SO important) - so sometimes I even see the plants shoot up/go thru a little growth spurt when I add the peroxide.

Oh and its totally safe for the plants. All hydrogen peroxide is, is water (h2o) with an extra oxygen molecule (h2o2)

Hope that this helps out someone,

-Teddy

• homehydro
    13 years ago

I didn't really read this thread (it's 6 years old) But just wanted to add for anyone considering using the 35% Hydrogen Peroxide, it's very caustic. You need to be very careful not to get any on you, and you should even wear a face shield. You don't want even the smallest drop to accidentally splash on your face or in your eyes. Get used to taking the proper precautions, or you will likely regret it later.

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

Teddy, that isn't true. It isn't totally safe for the plants. Just because it is close to water doesn't make it safe for plants. If it's not water, it's not water. You don't play the "but it's close" game in chemistry. Sulphuric acid is closer to water than olive oil, but that doesn't make it safer. Although, I am pretty sure sulphuric acid is safer than pure H2O2. If H2O2 was that much like water, we wouldn't be diluting it for the purpose of keeping our skin intact and preventing explosions. Like HH said, it's highly caustic. If you have damaged roots, there is a potential for further damage. That said, you can use the 3% to help an ailing system. No need for stronger stuff. The small amount of damage to roots is better than the damage of root rot or algae coating.

If H2O2 is perfectly safe for plants, then I wouldn't be able to use it to kill the algae in my rain barrels. Since it's so unstable, I can put it in and let the barrels sit. The algae dies off and the H2O2 breaks down quickly. Chlorinated tap works well, too, but increases pH.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!