Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollinating Cucumbers (Holland White OG)

Posted by mrd05d 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 16:39

My question is most likely a simple one to answer and I sorta feel dumb for asking but i have flowers now both male and female.

I tore the male off the plant took the flowers petals off and too the center and rubbed it against the center of the female flower. I figured this was how to pollinate Cucumbers.

My fear is that I didn't see any pollen inside the male cucumber flower at least not what i picture it would look like. Nothing seemed loose and if that is the case how could the pollen have transferred to the female flower. Can anyone take a minute to explain?

I just want to make sure i definitely get them pollinated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollinating Cucumbers (Holland White OG)

When most of the petals are removed, it is time for pollination. Just take the anthers of the male flower and gently rub it on anthers of the female one; but don’t touch the anthers tips because this is where the valuable pollen is located.

o

This is what i believe i did. Is the pollen visible? I also tried using a qtip but couldn't see any pollen on it either. I sure hope I get the cucumbers to grow. How long does it take for them to become ripe once they are pollinated?

o

The female cucumber will have a very small cucumber behind the flower. If the flower is properly pollinated that cucumber will grow, if not that miniature cucumber will turn yellow and shrivel up and fall off.

Doesn't take too long; maybe a week. If it starts turning yellow it's not done right or its not time yet. Also the first few ones usualy fall off anyway.

Eric

o

Hmmm its been about a week so far. Of the female flowers that I pollinated, the first one's flower fell off while i was pollinating so I am sure that one will fail. The others seemed to do alright but I didn't visibly see any pollen on any male flowers to give the female flowers. I just assumed that i cant see it but it's there?

So far the other female flowers i pollinated closed up but they aren't turning yellow or getting larger. Still waiting to see what happens. No cucumbers or delicious treat. I hope to know soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here