Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theflgardener

calibrating a ph meter

theflgardener
14 years ago

Hey guys,

I just got a ph meter and need to calibrate it:( I understand the directions, place it in a 7.0 solution, adjust,rinse,repeat with a 4.0 solution. My question is how the hell am I supposed to know the ph without a ph meter:) How do you guys do it?

Comments (15)

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

"how the hell am I supposed to know the ph without a ph meter:)"
    Âou mean without a calibrated PH meter, as you just got one as you say -or haven't you?!
    Well, simply buy ready to use calibration solution of 7.0 (7.01) and 4.0 (4'01) and drop it in there - that's it Mate.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Here:

Here is a link that might be useful: calibration solution

• theflgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bingo, without a calibrated ph meter. That link was a big help. It made me realize what the 2 packets were that came with it. I bought it off Ebay for 10 bucks it comes from Hong Kong so the directions are in chinese :(

How do I know how much I need to add to water to get an accurate reading?

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Goodness, do not mix the solution with water or anything, even if the chinese direction says so LOL! Use it as it comes ONLY, - you may fill each of the solutions in some small and handy bottles with lit, where you can directly dip your PH meter in (the probe only of course) and close them for later use!

PS: never let that probe tip get dry - always keep it wet. Otherwise your toy will not last very long!

Got it?

• theflgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The formulas are in a powder form, I think one may be borax and one may be phosphate? Its all pretty confusing. and does temperature play a role as well. The directions seem to indicate it does.

• mrpepper
    14 years ago

The two powder packets you have are likely the cleaning and maintenance solution.

You should read the instructions it came with if possible.

I would recommend purchasing the 7.0 testing solution, 4.0 testing solution, cleaning solution, and the storage solutions.

I found that the meters need to be cleaned often to keep them accurate (every time I use mine I clean it). I would suggest using the cleaning solution first by soaking the meter in it for about a minute or so. Then take the probe and run clean warm water on in for a bit under the tap.

Next calibrate it with your calibration solutions, then clean it again before using it. When your done using your meter, rinse it well under the tap, then clean it, then put it in storage solution.

To keep the probe in solution, my meter came with a cap, which I put the storage solution into, then put the cap on the probe, and kept the probe upright until I used it again.

• mrpepper
    14 years ago

After re-reading my post, I see that some of my comments could be mis-understood.

Once you have used the cleaning solution, rinsed the probe, then calibrated it; be sure to rinse (not clean with cleaning solution) before using it.

To keep the probe wet, it has worked well for me to use the storage solution. The meter I have has a plastic removable cap to protect the bulb in the probe end. I simply fill the cap with storage solution, the put the cap on the probe. This keeps the probe wet, but does not have the probe sosking in water with unwanted minerals.

• theflgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Im not sure if thats true, because one packet says 4.0 and one says 7.0 would that be indicative of cleaning solution or buffer. something tells me it's buffer.

• mrpepper
    14 years ago

Of course I would not know that. Since you have no idea how much water to add, I am proposing that you purchase known valued products for a more precise affect.

• grizzman
    14 years ago

I always store my meter with the bulb soaked in 7.0 calibration solution. It hasn't been a problem yet.
    usually those buffer mixes will tell you to mix with 'x' amount of distilled water. Since your instructions are written in chinese and you've no way to translate them, I would suggest you buy some local calibration solutions.

• theflgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

A PH probe is best kept in an acidic solution of around pH 3.0. You may use acidified tap water instead (emergency) , but low mineral, deionized, distilled or RO water should never be used for longer (neither as a storage solution), as this will degrade the probe.

PS: why don't you get your chinese manual scanned and let some folks in a "China forum" find and translate the vital part of the amount of distilled water to add? ;-)

• theflgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey guys thanks a bunch for all your help. I finally adjusted it. My tap water is reading 9.5, its no wonder my plants were stunted and yellow. Can you guys recommend some threads that discuss lowering ph. I no theres some house hold ingredients, right?

• infinat
    13 years ago

This explains really simply how to do pH calibration. Don't try to balance your existing water. Get some solution!! I think this is more for a GH meter not as much Hanna but I'm not sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: pH Calibration Solution Guide

• kennybellew
    12 years ago

I'm no expert, but I made a video on what I discovered regarding how to calibrate one of these inexpensive pH probes. Maybe someone will fine it useful.

http://youtu.be/XpLIJ-Vnlgk

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on Calibrating a pH probe