Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coco peat as a medium

Posted by theflgardener (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 18:28

I have been using cocopeat for a very short while, mostly as a nursery and most of my plants are starting to outgrow it and will soon be in need of a transplant. I have 2 questions.

1.) Is it necessary to sanitize the peat before starting a new crop or do I just toss it out.

2. has anyone used the wick method with cocopeat as the medium.

I guess thats 3 questions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coco peat as a medium

I have been using coco fiber for a very short while as well. All I can tell you is what I've researched, not personal experience. So take it for what it's worth.

1. If your planning on reusing the coco,which you can, I would flush it with plain water.

2.I don't know anything about the wick method with coco. From what I've read, coco doesn't like wet feet and the top drip method seems to be the most popular. I'm using coco in a flood and drain table. So far so good, but all I've read hasn't been to keen on the idea, since coco holds water like a sponge. I'm flooding once every 2-4 days.

o

I sanitize my coco coir fiber since I grow indoors and don't want bugs nesting in the medium. Thorough flush is fine if it's going outdoors.

o

@pepperot what do you sanitize your system with?

@urbangardenerfarmer thats a great idea, im sure you save a lot of water and power that way, as far as the wick method wouldnt it just absorb less water if it were soaked? would that be an invitation for root rot?

o

Hard to tell because coco holds so much water to begin with. It makes me wonder if it would ever dry out enough? I say go for it. You might be on to something. I might try one as well.

The key to no root rot is good air flow.

o

I think Aeration would end up being a problem, I remember someone mentioning mixing it with perlite. I will try it without first and if I run into an issue just add some.

o

urbangardenfarmer has brought up 2 important points here. 1. Any coco related medium (husk chips, peat, fiber, etc) retains humidity for very long. Any technique or method has to consider (can even exploit) this fact. 2. Ebb and Flow was originally conceived to be an economic and low tech method. Hence ebb/flow cycles were actually supposed to not be frequent simply to save energy. Even though some newer uses do not consider this fact, it's good to be remembered about that initial idea ;-)

For seedings and later states (especially plants that do not like wet feed, in fact do not draw enough oxygen in wet and dense medium) I can recommend/do prefer a mix of 50/50 perlite coco(peat). Using coco peat with a wick system looks possible to me, as there is nothing I can see why it shouldn't work. Still, when having coco peat (only) permanently moist (due to a wick), one has to consider the "wet feed" issue for sure. It might indeed not be suited for some plants!

PS: as coco peat is a relatively inexpensive material, I'd not recycle it for hydro purposes, not toss it either - but use it as a substrate component for pot plants.

o

I agree with lucas. Use some sort of 50/50 mix, either perlite or hydroton. I'm using a product called Maidenwell from Australia. It's a silica stone which I think has some trace minerals in it. I tried to mix it 50/50, but it looks more like 60coco/40stone.

Is the pepper plant considered a "wet feed" plant?

o

Thats good to know, I love the Substrate idea. I will probably use it for as long as I can though. Do you guys know where there might be a list of "wet feed" plants?

o

>>Is the pepper plant considered a "wet feed" plant?<<
It f****** is LOL.
Well peppers can indeed be a very difficult customer. Then again, if you got it right they grow like a charm. I've found that some species or varieties behave very differently, some are very sensitive, others quite hardy.

I guess you got it right with your (actually particular) technique urbangardenfarmer. With flooding coco and letting it drain (nearly) dry before flooding again! Pot size matters too, because if your pot size is too small, humidity is hard to control - in fact either the medium dries out too quickly or is permanently somewhat too wet. This is the actual (and often reported) cause of the problem when growing seedlings in coco only.

I've grown peppers successfully in rough coco chips (only) and with several drip and recycle systems some time ago, I should post some pics. ;-)

o

@Lucas were gonna have to wash your mouth out with soap sir. you should post those pics, would love to see em

I like cocopeat so far, granted I havent used anything else yet lol. I just made another brick and transplanted my green onions(they were together with some Tomatoes in another cocopeat container)Now my boys have plenty of room. So far so good with the cc

o

More pics! More pics! Damn lucas you didn't have to curse me!:~)

o

lol

o

Cocopeat is very useful medium for gardening. I have grown plants with less water and with good yield. Before implementing any procedure for soil formation, one has to analyze the soil and then accordingly set the procedure to meet the plant expectation to grow it effectively. Many information available to optimize the soil, but it's better to stick good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Idea Of Gardening With Less Water But Having A Better Yield

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here