Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody on Flickr?

Posted by charlielittle 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 08 at 20:14

Have started posting all my hydroponic pictures there.

My Flickr!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody on Flickr?

Just joined this forum. I do plan on posting pics latter on.
Your towers look great. I've seen these several times but I don't understand the method used for nutrient deliver in the tower. Would you please explain?

Thanks!

o

All the towers I've seen and have been able to get information for in commercial operations have a drip line feeding through the top. The tower on my back patio is full of Perlite and I'm just pouring in a nutrient solution until it starts to drip out the bottom into a five gallon bucket where there's a cereal bowl siliconed in with drain holes. My outdoor run with towers will have a drip line.

o

• Posted by elnino qld australia (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 10, 08 at 8:18

Hi
Some information on the towers how do you keep perlite from falling out of the tower when you are filling it up thanking you

o

I always thought the vertical towers utilized aeroponics.
you can tell I haven't looked into them for quite a while.

o

"how do you keep perlite from falling out of the tower when you are filling it up thanking you"

This is why I use the foam plugs. The tower on my patio was built up like this...

I first washed and trimmed all the roots of the strawberry plants as they came from the nursery. Then put them into the foam plugs and then into all the holes. Then poured the perlite in till it covered all the roots + a few inches. Then poured water in slowly till the whole column was saturated and began running out the bottom. After it quit dripping I poured in the extra again just to make sure all the perlite was saturated well.

You want to make sure you do this fast enough if it's warm so that the roots don't dry out. It seemed to have worked ok since all the plants are coming to life. You're welcome!

Grizzman it was you who suggested I use a media so if the pump went out my plants wouldn't all die? I thought I would use perlite in a few with drip emitters and misters in a couple to see if any difference...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here