Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
revans90

Hydro-organics ph-tomatoes write-up

revans90
12 years ago

Post1

-------

Been interested in trying "hydro organics" for a while and have finally got around to setting up a system. Full disclosure i used House&Garden aqua flakes A&B for veg. This was to get the ideal growth for the time frame I am working with, I must say it payed off. You could call this a "hybred-hydro organics" set-up lol.

system- 5 gal DWC with 1 gal coco smart pot in 2 gal net pot with hydrotons. large air stone in there. 4 times a day a pump waters the coco for 4 minutes.

Nutrients- House&Garden-veg

Earth Juice teas. Mycos. transition and bloom

Crop- Roma Tomatoes

Light-T5

-----------------------

Wanted to post some observations/questions while running this very experimental set-up. Ill post more things as time goes on.

1. The pH is a little funny-

So its known that the Earth Juice Grow and Bloom drastically drops the pH and currently I am working on figuring this out. I have my temporary solution of adding more Grow when the pH goes up. The only question I have is what nutrient could I use to bring the pH up instead of down? Baking soda i know works, but is there any nutrient that would raise it?

NOTES

--------

As far as the stench goes when using hydro organics, is that with this small system is that it is minimal. I "charged" the system with a very mild-solution of EJ Grow and Mycos. I did this but making a half gallon of mild solution and top feeding it into the system and ran it for a day.

Another note. As far as discussion of organics- this is not IMO. Never the less not looking to hash that out here, this is a write up to answer questions and post observations on the like.

Also- I have a 3 gal smart pot going with carrots and I have been top feeding EJ into coco, by hand. I really like the growth that it is producing. I dont pH or anything, just add mild mixes everyday, using much less than EJ recommendes.

I hope this helps.

-rye

Comments (10)

• grizzman
    12 years ago

I think calcium and potassium can raise pH. Lowering the available nitrogen will also raise the pH.
    Seems like you're going through a lot of effort to recreate a dirt environment in water, but whatever floats your boat.

• georgeiii
    12 years ago

Look in the Sustainable Hydroponics discussion below. I've worked out a system already that's Organic. We're talking about that now.

• revans90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the tip on the cal and potassium to raise the ph
    not working out to be to much trouble at all.

could you post the discussion in a link?
    ------------------
    Post 2

pH- no problems really, I find my self just adding the Grow mix to lower.

notes
    ------
    still no smell and its been running for about 6 days. Not expecting this to change at all, unless the new tea I'm brewing changes that =P

Going to change the tea solution tomorrow with a flowering tea.

• revans90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Post 3
    -------
    The tea has been going for the past few days and the tomatoes look great. Added some water and a mild solution of nutes, myco food mostly.

Still not doing anything to pH the solution. This week I am just letting the tea do its work and not adding EJ grow to lower the pH.
    -----------------
    questions:
    1) How long to brew the tea? My first brew was 48 hours and this next batch has been 4 days...is that to long?
    2)How do i post pictures?

• grizzman
    12 years ago

Revans90, you should search this forum for [tengreenthumbs] and [compost tea]. you'll find he used to grow just as you're describing but eventually abandoned it for nutrient salts because the compost teas don't provide enough nutrients when the plants are larger and fruiting. Maybe your tea is different, I don't know, but check out his posts to prepare you for later in the grow cycle and why compost tea are not really any more organic than nutrient salts. (less "carbon footprint" probably, but not more organic)

to post images you use html coding as follows:
    the [link location here] refers to the server location where the images are located (i.e. I use flickr). Make sure to include the http:// at the beginning (cut and paste from the address bar)

• revans90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help grizz. This websites is amazing with the amount of information, thanks!

Post 3
    --------
    we got tomatoes buds!

as far as the tea, I am only going to brew for about 12 hours before adding to soltution, and brewing for more the 4 days in no good, nasty funk smell.
    I used a combination of tea and Earth Juice. EJ being the base of the solution and tea brewed being the additive. The brew I use is very complete because of this comb, micro, macro and trace elements are all covered. The ppm can be changed by adding more or less EJ or stronger tea brewed. Myco food is also used.

I flush with normal salts and light EJ solution when changing out solution.

I'll post some pics when the tomatoes get a little more visible.

• revans90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Post 4
    --------
    Pictures on Flicker page-
    More buds developing and flowers opening.
    Tomatoes taking off!
    The system-Planning an adding a tomato wire for support very soon.
    Carrots,Swiss Chard, Kale, Red Roman
    -----
    Notes:

I cut back on the watering a little to let the coco dry out a little. It seemed to be to wet imo but ill probably bump it back later in flower but for right now it should be fine.

Got some reinforcements for the little myco's brewing right now. A little stronger tea this time but I am finding the tomatoes can take it. I like flushing with mild normal salt solutions with more water, this time i didn't add EJ I wanted to give the coco a good flush it was looking a little 'clogged' i guess-draining slower than normal.

this is my flicker page. Still having trouble with getting pictures on the forums.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44635130@N07/

• grizzman
    12 years ago

yeah, flickr is kind of funny.
    Here is how I do it. Using firefox (IE may work, chrome not so easily)click on the picture on the photostram page. on the next page click the picture again. this will open the picture on a page with a black background. on that page click on "view all sizes" link in upper right hand side. on the next screen choose the size you like then right click on the image and select "view image" in the drop down menu. when that image appears on the next page simply copy the html code from the address bar and place it into the img tag i mentioned above. It sounds like a lot, but is actually pretty fast to do. a lot faster than explaining anyway.

• revans90
    Original Author
    12 years ago

• grizzman
    12 years ago

Almost there revans. you have to leave the brackets ( [ ] ) off.
    this:

will give you: