Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help growing collard greens on verticle towers

Posted by growupgreen Fl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 21:14

My husband purchased several vertical hydroponic growing towers last year, and has been trying to grow collard greens. They grow great, but they are very spotted looking, and have a lot of yellow on the leaves. He has tried all kinds of two part nutrients, and still has the same results.
Has anyone grown collards successful using this method?
Is there a preferred nutrient formula he should be using?
He has used a 5-12-26 and a 8-15-36 2 part formulas. Some leaves are green, but the majority are spotted. It would make him a very happy man if he could grown them green!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help growing collard greens on verticle towers

Looks like he's using flowering/fruiting nutrients. The first number is nitrogen and is what your greens need. It should be higher than it is in those formulas for vegetative growth. I started my sweet peas with half strength Eco Grow 10-8-14. They grew fairly well but had spotty leaves as well. Changed the nutrient solution to full strength last Sunday. By Tuesday the lower leaves turned the darkest shade of green and it moved up the plants over the next few days. I will change to Eco Bloom 3-35-10 after the growth is established for flowering/fruiting. If I'm not mistaken, leafy plants can stay on a growth nutrient with higher nitrogen their whole life cycle.

o

Thanks for the reply, Is there any way to add more nitrogen to make it higher, without changing the nutrient we have already? What do you use to add more nitrogen?

o

Honestly I don't know about changing nutrient formula's. Perhaps someone else will help out here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here