Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nutrients and Coco coir

Posted by pugfeathers 5b Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 22:17

Hi All,
I am almost ready to start some of my House plants on a static wick system. I have bought Coco coir and expanded clay for my root mediums. The Coco coir came as a big solid brick. Is this how it is suposed to work, or do I have to find a way to decompress it into a looser consistancy that can be mixed with the expanded clay?
I will be using mostly tropical houseplants that come from areas where the water is low in nutrients, soft, and is slightly acidic.(6.0-6.5) I would like to use a nutrient mix that is easly made up, or a pre-mixed solution that I can add to the water. Any Ideas?
I have found alot of good information on this forum. I would like to thank Greystoke for all the good information he has posted about houseplants and static wick systems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nutrients and Coco coir

The "brick" will expand and fall apart once you soak it in water.

As for a build-your-own nutrient, I've placed a link below. Once there, you'll also want to look around and check to see what the proper EC and pH are for each thing you intend to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home-brewed Nutrient

o
RE: nutrients and Coco coir

Hey there, you don't have to use the brick as it is. Just soak it in shallow water so that it can expand. But, make sure that the mix which you make is not dripping wet and is damp enough. This is because coco coir has a good water holding capacity and so it need not be dripping wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here