Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevey_frac

My Hydroponic Garden of Awesomeness

stevey_frac
14 years ago

Basically, I decided one day to grow some veggies. Then i researched. And then decided I should grow these hydroponic-ly. In mah basement.

This is when I had first put my peppers into the hydroponic system. Lettuce on the right, peppers on the left.

This is a few weeks later when I added tomato plants. They're in the big yellow tubs.

This is mah lettuce, tonight.

And a close up!

And here's my lettuce on the dinner table tonight. My first ever harvest. It was nomlicious.

If anyone has any questions, or comments, fire away!

Comments (42)

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

I'd spread some herb croutons on top ;-)

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The salad wasn't done yet... I wanted to make sure I had enough lettuce. :)

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

Lettuce looks YUMMY!!! And this IS a garden of awesomeness!

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Great job stevey! Everything looks great. How many days are your lettuce?

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's sitting at about 50 days. However, a pH problem, and a nutrient deficiency really held it back a lot. I think i could get to harvest a week earlier under better conditions.

Cheri: It was yummy. :P It was very fresh, and possibly the crispiest lettuce i've ever had. It's different from the iceberg lettuce i'm used to eating though. I'm not sure if it's worth it to try and grow iceberg lettuce though.

Meh we'll see!

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

Yeah I think I would much rather grow lettuce with more nutritional value LOL. I bought some 'simpson' lettuce from a friend of mine...I have NO idea what it looks like, so we'll see LOL
    What kind os this?

I can't wait to have fresh lettuce to eat every day!! I'm trying to increase my raw food intake. I'm not going completely raw, but I think it's important to have a lot of raw food in your diet.

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't feel this the the place to discuss dietary requirements of humans Cherri, however, i will say raw food won't hurt you. :P

This was Salad Bowl green leaf lettuce. It's very tasty. And all of what I harvested last night has already grown back in. I'm not even kidding. You can't tell where I took some from...

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

That's awesome! So it continues to grow leaves? I was under the impression that you just take the whole thing! Glad you told me!
    (and I agree with you, raw food is better for you LOL)

• tedsfarms
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pics stevey, I have my herbs, peppers, and toms in seperate bins but yours grew fast. lol Congrats man

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

is 50 days considered fast?

Also: I think lettuce matures faster then herbs does.

And my pepper plants and tomatoes are still a long way from fruiting.

• tedsfarms
    14 years ago

"is 50 days considered fast? "

Not sure on the pepper variety, but they are taller than mine at 43 days. Congrats on the progress

• little_nicky
    14 years ago

What kind of lighting system are you running?

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The peppers are only about 35 days. They got started later. Wanted to try out the lettuce first, then had germination problems.

The tomato plants are only about a week old.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Noticed something here, stevey ...
    Are you sure those plants on the left are peppers as in bell pepper (capsicum annuum) or any other kind of capsicum? I could still be wrong, although...they don't look like pepper plants to me at all, - much more like potato leaved tomato plants.

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I sincerely hope they are pepper plants!

They should be regular green peppers... They're actually going a little funny on me again. The peppers are so much harder to take care of then the lettuce was.

Getting some leaves showing up with white patches.

If anyone followed my thread with 'brown roots help!', you know I had a pH problem. Once the pH was fixed, the plants doubled in size in less then a week. No joke. pH is important for realsies.

But now i have these funky white spots showing up. I have noticed a lady bug or two hanging around ... is it possible they're causing this?

• grizzman
    14 years ago

Regarding what Lucas said; I have to agree they look more like tomato leaves than peppers. Not saying they're not, I've just never seen peppers with leaves like that. Most of the time they look like this

{{gwi:1002615}}
    (picture taken from hydro_scotty's pepper issues thread)

As for the spots, I can't say definitely, but they kinda look like spider mites to me.

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So... I might be getting lots of tomatoes instead of pepper plants as anticipated?

Lol. oops?

How do I fix spider mites? Or check for them? or whatever?

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ya, pretty sure those are tomato plants. Oops.

Now i have to many tomatos, and no peppers. :(

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

LOL bummer! That's ok, just give those plants away and start new peppers :)

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You saying you need some tomato plants Cheri? :P

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

That's hilarious! Either way, the plants look great. Don't kill the lady bugs stevey! They're your main line of defense against the spider mites. Lady bugs are actually referred to as beneficial insects. They eat the bugs that eat your plants. Turn your leaves over and check to see what kind of bugs your dealing with. Probably spider mites, aphids or thrips.

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I shall stop flicking the ladybugs. Is it possible they are there to eat the mites?

• tedsfarms
    14 years ago

hahaha, I agree, that was a funny. Good luck on the toms stevey

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

... Oh guys. You have to save me from my disorganization.

One of my tomato plants?

ya. it's a pepper plant.

./facepalm

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

LOL No, I'm all set on tomatoes!! Trust me!!

Ladybugs eat aphids. if you have them there HAS to be a food source for them. They wont effect your plants, so I say keep them around!!!

Your facepalm made me lol btw hahahaha

• stevey_frac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, so how do I treat these bugs?

I can't find any or see anything. I tried putting a white piece of paper under the leaves and shaking them, don't see anything dropping to the paper either.

Should I cut off the effected leaves?

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

To spot aphids or any other parasites, return the leafs and examine with a 10-20x magnifier glass (microscope is better), or in case you have a macro capable digital cam, a photo from a few millimeters away only (and from different areas). In fact some parasites are hard to spot with the bare eye but that's the way to go - you actually spot THEM, so you do not need to (mis)interpret the symptoms... ;-)

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

As far as I know ladybugs will not damage any of your plants. So if you find them, they are friends of your garden and you should keep them around.

Do a google search on aphids and click Images so you can get an idea of what you're looking for.

• grizzman
    14 years ago

aphids look like green seasome seeds on the bottom of your leaves. Spider mites, on the other hand, require heavy magnification to see. google spider mite damage then compare the images to your leaves and see what you think.
    here's a quick search result:
    {{gwi:1002617}}

as you can see, the early stages also look like nutrient deficiencies.

• georgeiii
    14 years ago

No, no don't listen to them it's just can't be insects. And that spray solution I told you about...don't use that either stick to your guns.

• urbangardenfarmer
    14 years ago

Wrong thread short bus, I mean georgeiii;~)

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Sometimes I really do not understand you guys...
    Detecting parasites is about IF there are any and WHAT they are - not about "what one thinks" or what some google results or picture may suggest or not...

And georgeiii offended vanity isn't the best adviser, it never was. And sarcasm didn't never ever help anyone - or you tell me.

Right, you mostly get aware of parasites through noticing symptoms. It's the most probable starting scenario. BUT then, you 1. have to f*****g and actually spot your parasite however you do that, 2. identify them with certainty and 3. in most cases use a specific treatment against that particular parasite. Point 3 is especially important if you want to avoid using toxic substances uselessly (in your home). THERE IS NO WAY AROUND THAT procedure, unless you prefer shooting a 30 sec. burst with a cal. 50 BMG in the dark (or is that the american way?). Don't get cute now, - you can always tell me that you actually don't do that by default LOL.

Look, I am located in a so called borderline between third world and "fast-developing nation" country. But in case I cannot identify a parasite or don't know for sure what I am dealing with, there are 3 institutes in the reach of half an hour drive, where I can have a dead certain diagnosis by an expert for free. On top of that, in most cases they point me to specific chemical agents AND a milder, sometimes plant based alternative. If I am lucky, they even provide the main (hard to get) ingredients for a plant based cure! These are the municipal pest control and two universities. Most of you guys live in the US,- right? Unbelievable that people from one of the leading nations, a so called WORLD POWER is often loosing your and other's time with that kind of pig-headedness and I-know-better-and-you-dunno-forum-reasoning.

Anyways, if I was relying on forum replies and what others told me since, I believe one half of my plants were rotten and forgotten already and the other half treated uselessly with highly toxic insecticides when the problem was actually nutritional deficiencies.

• georgeiii
    14 years ago

And georgeiii offended vanity isn't the best adviser, it never was. And sarcasm didn't never ever help anyone - or you tell me.

My vanity isn't offended. I'm really just amused by a lack of knowledge of simple plant mortality. Being from a first world country this kind of knowledge is laying around all over the place. But having the tech-knowledge handed to you doesn't give you the experience of the simple act of putting the time in. I mean really, this is basic stuff.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Yeah georgeiii, you do all the heavy lifting here, help all the people out of the mess, do dead sure diagnostics and give intelligible and pragmatical advice for cures, all day long. You must indeed be an unrecognized but actually better qualified plant expert than any of us - right?!

Or are you simply interjecting one pathetically absurd and disturbing phrase after the other at some "strategical" moment or when your emotions push you to go for it? And what else could be the reason for your systematic disturbing of ongoing operations with your meanness, - except offended vanity of yours, that probably originated in some other threads!?

Simply let it go son, or change your attitude - for the sakes of us all!

• ethnobotany
    14 years ago

roflmao. man. I dont know why it is (or maybe im too nice to speak of it : ) but everytime Georgiii posts a loaded remark I cannot help but be entertained by some of the comebacks...
    Georgii the world isn't out to get you. You just simply antagonize the world and so the world hates you back. Its like the galls and gaels of Medieval England. A constant battle for whos revenge will get the best of the other.
    Maybe we should all forget some of the alleged smart a**ing in other threads that georgiii had so flamboyantly projected upon us while having little to no proof to back up his statements (at least in the realm of Biology.) Maybe we should have forgotten those small mundane things. But we cannot when he continues to show the same personality over and over now can we?!?!
    Georgiii may peace be with you . I mean not to attack just to be critical. Imagine what it would be like for people to read your things not in spite of what we believe is ignorance and dimwitted delightment, but rather, because they sincerely wish to admire and relay information about your ideas and inspirations? Now there's fuel for thought.

• lucas_formulas
    14 years ago

Intersting, ethnobothany...;-)
    Indeed the world loves you or strikes back with every heart beat- but that's only one way to put it. I even prefer Jiddu Krishnamurti's view of human relationships, where he indeed says:

>>...now if I use that knowledge in my relationship with you, another human being, I am bringing about a barrier, a division between you and me, namely the observer. That is, knowledge, in relationship, in human relationship, is DESTRUCTIVE.

I'm not sure though if georgeiii is seeing human relationships and the related realm from such perspective, though. I may be wrong, but I doubt as well that there are many other forum members that care about such rather unusual philosophical and sociological perspectives. I believe they primarily want there screwed-up setups and PH to improve and get sound and safe LOL.

In half a century of existence, (how philosophical does that sounds anyway LOL) I've learned only a few things that I am certain of. And one of those most certainly is: people will only believe what they want to believe, only accept what they are ready to, only listen to what and to whomever they chose to (no mater if it's a genius or some lunatic) as well. No matter how "you" put it, no matter if it's nicely said or bluntly shouted at their face, true or false, most honest you can get it or an infamous lie, most objectively described or just a very personal impression. A bit like with plant physiology, people "take only up" what they like to hear and grab at that moment in time and with their very own attitude and state of mind.

That is why I stick with a more simplified philosophy since a while: I primary care what I have to say and what's actually on my mind, not anymore what others may or may not think of it. In fact I still may try to not offend or compromise them intentionally, but I actually cannot anticipate what others may like or not like, understand or not - hence accept or reject. Sooner or later you find out where the more adventurous spots, the "no go places" and the play safe areas are. If it doesn't bring you at your goal, simply turn to an opportunist or an hypocrite, or even better, a unlucky combination of both - and there you go and it works like a charm until you wake up from that bad dream too.

Some people evolve by trying them one after the other, but I recommend to drop the "freaky douche attitude" though, I believe that's the worst call ever! LOL

• grizzman
    14 years ago

I didn't mean to suggest my picture post definitively ID'd his plant problem. It was just to show how bug damage isn't always as obvious as a caterpillar eating your leaves. After all noticing symptoms is how you become aware of them.

When I have a plant problem I can't ID or cure on my own I call the agricultural extension and get their assistance. Most states in the US have them. They generally have a significant staff of master gardeners who are there for the express purpose of assisting people with plant issues.

• cheri_berry
    14 years ago

That's a fantastic idea grizzman! I would have never thought of that! (which is why I continue to read threads that I don't even comment on because I learn SO much from you guys!!)

• georgeiii
    14 years ago

Not a word about whether I'm right or wrong, just how people's feelings are hurt? What, we're working on a bell curve here. Stick to the subject. If the person who posted would answer the question's there'd be no need for the rest of these side fluff issuses. Let them answer. It's not a debate or a contest just conversation.

• grizzman
    14 years ago

georgeii
    Unless you possess some kind of hydro forum voodoo, you never asked a question on this thread.
    Don't believe me? scroll up and see for yourself. I did.
    I believe you're replying to another thread where someone was having concerns about their pepper plants.

• georgeiii
    14 years ago

grizzman
    I stand corrected, my mistake.

• bilberrybrian
    14 years ago

You can try this simple method to check for spider mites. Take a white sheet of paper, place it underneath some of the leaves and then gently shake the plant. If you have spider mites at least a couple should fall off the leaves onto your paper. If there's small black or red dots running around on the paper, or if they smear when you smash them, you probably have spider mites. Even being so small they stick out on a white sheet of paper.

The topic for this thread is full of win.