Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding Hydroponic Plants Amounts?

Posted by awestruck 9B (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 22:41

I am getting ready to set up my hydroponic system (Botanicare ebb and flow) and am wondering how to feed the plants? I have a few different bottles of plant food, but I don't know the amount I should put in, or the type I should put in, and when to know when it's time to change the diet. I have something called, 'Liquid Karma' and I guess I start off with this? How much to I put in? The only measurements I know are a teaspoon per gallon. I don't know how many gallons the ebb and flow system holds, so I am not sure how much to put in. The instruction page just gives general information. I don't even know how much water to put in the reservoir. It just says to fill it with water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding Hydroponic Plants Amounts?

This is a very complicated "feeding schedule" set up by the manufacturer. I hope you get the "AMAZING" results the marketeers claim with the kitchen sink of organic enhancers, etc. that 'Liquid Karma' is said to contain. You haven't mentioned what you are growing, but Botanicare has a feeding schedule for two of its base fertilizers. Liquid Karma is not a base fertilizer, it is a supplement they certainly recommend but just beware that the nature of a supplement usually means it is not essential to have, whereas the base fertilizer is essential. The way Botanicare is marketing their fertilizers, you have to look at the "feeding schedule" for your base fertilizer. There, it says how much of the base to put in over the entire life of the plant, how often. It also has all the supplements listed too, which should be optional but they probably make you feel like you are pampering your plants in luxury if you buy everything.

Here is the feeding schedule for Pure Blend Pro base fertilizer you probably got with the EnF package in sample size (wait until you see have fast it gets used up!);
and here, CNS17 base fertilizer is another example feeding schedule for a different base fertilizer, so you can get an idea of what's going on in the Botanicare Universe of plant nutrition. Careful - Both feeding schedules' pdfs have 2 sheets and you want the sheet titled Hydroponic Inert Media, not the Coco-Soil.

As the charts estimate for these liquids, estimate that 1 teaspoon is 5 mL. If you don't know how many gallons are in your system, call them and ask 1-877-753-0404. Or just fill it up the way that looks right and do it with a bucket so you can measure how much water you put in yourself. Or check the instruction manual again. The online pdf of the instruction manuals says both the TurboGarden and MicroGarden versions in Ebb and Flow have 25 gallon reservoirs.

Good luck! It's really a nice system. Read up more and don't worry, by the time the samples are finished and its time to buy some jugs of fertilizers you'll have gotten more familiar with what's needed.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 2:14

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here