Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pump pressure issues

Posted by Ricksindoorgarden 5A (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 22:58

I'm using a Rio 3100 HP pump to feed my system. There are 11 bato buckets and all fed off a 1/2 inch pipe with tees and shut off valves for each. They reduce down to a 1/4" mini tube about 2 feet from the buckets. I wanted to make circular rings with drilled holes but the pressure is pretty bad, almost no flow. I was thinking to make more uniform pressure I could mount a 5 gallon bucket at the ceiling and pump into it with an overflow returning to the sump and feed the distribution manifold with a line from the bottom of the bucket. I would then get about 3 psi of pressure from the head. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? Even my Little Giant pump is having trouble on the system right behind this one and its a bigger pump, much more powerful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pump pressure issues

These are the drip distributors I made, I started with 1/16" holes then upped the size to 1/8" (about 15 holes in each) but the flow is barely a drip.

o

These are the drip distributors I made, I started with 1/16" holes then upped the size to 1/8" (about 15 holes in each) but the flow is barely a drip.

o

Those remind me of dribble rings. I put a link to them below.

Mag drive pumps just aren't designed to make pressure, nor is any transfer pump. Obviously they make a little to do their job, but it's not much. A pump that makes pressure will have a psi rating, like a well pump. There are also a lot of cheap DC pumps that make pressure for RV water systems.

I would swap out the pump for one that made pressure. You'll want to use manufactured emitters that will deliver a specific GPM at their working pressure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dribble Rings

o

With six to eight 30psi 3gph emitters per bucket, the Aquatec 5503-AEE-B656 (120v) $134 or 5503-AEE-B636 (12v dc) $109 would do the trick. Run for 5 minutes every 3 hours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here