Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flood and drain timer questions

Posted by dan_nz_gardener none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 3:28

Hey all,

I have just about finished my flood and drain Aquaponics set up but am at a hurdle with finding a timer that does what I want. I have 4 bath tubs and an indexing valve that cycles through each tub. And bell syphon to drain each one. I have a large pump because a large flow rate was needed to drive the cam on the indexing valve. The problem I have is the standard timers only have 15 minute increments. But as the pump flows faster than the drain can take it away it overflows after around 6 minutes. So I need a digital timer that I can set in minute increments for all 4 baths and just keeps repeating.
I bought an HPM digital timer but astonishingly I can't just set it to repeat the 8 on off cycles. I thought this would be a standard feature on a digital timer.
Does anyone have a timer to recommend or advice please?
Cheers
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flood and drain timer questions

I recommend you put an overflow pipe in each of your tubs that sends the nutrient back to the reservoir. that way it will never overflow and the 15 minute increment should work fine.
Overflow pipes are pretty standard in EnF systems. you really shouldn't build one without it. (what happens if the timer fails in the closed position and the pump doesn't turn off)

o

I agree about the overflow safety pipe.

It sounds like what you want is a cycle timer. I put a link to some of them below.

Here is a link that might be useful: worms way timers

o

Thanks for that. All tubs now have overflow pipes attached and timer works perfectly.
Dan

o

I agree with the Over Flow pipe and might add a metering Valve of some type to restrict GPM flow. Most pond pumps are simple centrifugal pumps that won't build pressure. That is why they have Height restrictions. A simple in line Ball valve should do the trick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here