Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homehydro

Uploading pictures

homehydro
11 years ago

Grizz,

I thought it useful to reply to you in a new thread.

(1.) I rarely if ever have a need to remove an image once I finish the post. I have yet to remove a picture from any thread in the other forum.

(2.) I don't care if people cut and paste any of my comments. I don't hold a copyright on them, or even wish to. In fact I feel it's better to let them. That makes it easier for them to reply to specific points, and makes it much easier to know what their referring to.

(3.) I have yet to come across an instance where I would need to remove a comment. There are times where I wish I could edit typos, or add a point to a post after I already posted it in this forum. The other forum allows editing of both text and pictures. But If I need to correct a important typo, or add a point in this forum, it's quite simple to just add a new post. As for images, as I mentioned I have yet to have a need, or want, to remove any. Saving my text as images is not desirable to me, I have enough to keep track of. Adding all the posts to the mix. Ya, not for me.

(4.) If I ever have a need for copyrighting any of my pictures or 3D drawings, I'll consider my options at that time. But I would most likely just add a watermark to the images in question. Everything I post is meant to be shared.

(5.) I don't even have a need to back up my pictures using an online website. I back them up on an external hard-drive somewhat regularly.

(6.) I have way to many pictures to reorganize them on some third party website. If their not organized, I would never be able to find them again when I wanted. Spending the time to do that is just not for me. It's hard enough finding time to organize all of them on my computer.

(7.) I don't want to need to take the time to open another window/website in order to get links to my pictures just so I can get a link to post them.

(8.) Posting a link for each picture will be way more time consuming for me to spend doing. I take and post lots of pictures. In the other forum it's not uncommon for me to upload 20 pictures in one post (the attachment limit per post there). In fact, in the thread about my greenhouse construction, there are many times I needed to post twice just to add all the pictures I wanted.

(9.) Besides all of the hassle it would be to jump through all the hoops just to use a third party website to post my pictures. I don't see any benefit at all, quite the opposite in my opinion. But lastly and the most important factor to me, is that I don't want to store my personal picture collections in someone elses database/website. I don't care how secure they say they are. I have all the control of everything I need right from my own computer, and I know where I post them.

Comments (3)

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Just use photobucket...

Some 1/2-1" pine bark grow media.
    {{gwi:1689}}

A caactus pad roots in the pine media.

{{gwi:1690}}

Just copy/use the HTML one under the picture you will see when you hit preview message.

Hope this helped.

• grizzman
    11 years ago

HH,
    I agree with most everything you said and wasn't trying to suggest you use an online storage or organizational program.
    I keep all my pictures on my computer and back up to an external as well. the stuff I post online is of no concern as to what happens with it or else I wouldn't post it.
    Yes, you post way too many pictures at a time for html tags, but for the occasional image, its simple enough. in fact you could even link images from other sites you've posted to share elsewere.(though some sites frown on that)

• homehydro
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TheMasterGardener1
    It's not that I don't know where or how. It's that there is no way around storing them on a third party website (like photobucket), before all the hoops and hassles of posting them which is my biggest issue.

Grizzman,
    If your not suggesting using a third party website to store them, how can I go around doing so? I have at times posted links to the other forum where I can post pictures. But if you (or anyone) wants to actually view them, they need to register as a user in that forum before they can view attachments. I don't post links to them much because I think it's kind of hypocritical to ask others to jump through hoops (registering), when I'm not willing to do the same.

Perhaps I'm a bit pampered when it comes to uploading online data/pictures. I have had the luxury of being able to do that in seconds from the start (in the first forum), and have no wish to go backwards. But besides going through the hassle, I just cant get past needing to have them stored on some other website, and in their database. That may be hard for most people to understand. But if it wasn't for that part, I may consider the other hassles.

I don't do the occasional picture. I'm not willing to go to the hassle of registering/longing in, as well as take the time of uploading a picture to some third party website each time I wanted to post a single picture. I've got enough other accounts to keep track of for me to consider doing that (even if I could get past the fact they were stored on/in someones elses website/database). I would consider linking to pictures in my online database, but I need to get some money rolling in before I can get back to that.

Bottom line, the only online database I trust is mine, and that's it. It's not my fault this forum's software is outdated. I don't feel I need to compromise my beliefs, or spend that much more time because of it. It's not that my pictures are valuable and I have a copyright on them. But the amount of pictures I take are huge. I even take pictures of every part I build a system with for use in describing how I built them. I plan to use them in the free "build your own hydroponic system plans." Photobucket and any other like websites don't provide their services/web-space for free. They make money from advertising. I'm not willing to let them make money from me using their site. Me generating viewers, and increasing their online popularity. Thus increasing their income, and me not getting anything in return.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area