Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydroponic drained nutrients used for NFT(lettuce)

Posted by Atish Mauritius (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 10:21

Hi all,
I have a greenhouse where i plant tomatoes in cocopeat.I'll be doing an experiment whereby i'll be collecting the drained nutrients from the tomatoes in a barrel and pumping it to my lettuce which will be in 80mm PVC in netcups with cocopeat.
I am just guessing that that EC,PH will not affect the lettuce much.Hopefully the NFT system works.
The only issue i might be having would be algae formation in the nutrient barrel.
I have constructed a support system made of wood shown in the picture.(5 layers)-The support for the PVC pipes is still unfinished and messy!
I'll be more than grateful to hear about suggestions and recommendations.
Love from Mauritius

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydroponic drained nutrients used for NFT(lettuce)

This sounds like a great experiment. I am always looking for things to do with the expended nutrients.

I either dilute and adds as a foliar spray or simply dump on the raw compost pile(s).

Please keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Growing Adventure

o

thanks halfway for the follow up.
Nearly finished the placing the PVC pipes and now waiting for my icebergs to get bigger to put them in!

o

these are the lettuces!!they are healthy and clean!
I've decided to add Batavia Lettuce as well..and I can't wait for these to become bigger to transfer them in the NFT system!these will be grown outdoors and we are approaching winter here in Mauritius.I am getting some difficulty in finding netcups here and i'll do a slight modification to this problem by using plastic cups where i'll be drilling holes in them.

o

FIRST I HAVE A QUESTION. How far apart are the Lettuce Holes in the NFT Pipes????

I am Growing Tomatoes in a Dutch Bucket system. Tomatoes are Heavy feeder. I like to change my Reservoir no less than every 2 weeks. It seem to me to be a waste to throw that good Nutrient water away. At present time I water my soil grown Shrubs & Trees with that water.

o

@ Ricone
there is 30 cm between each hole.
,you can put the leftover nutrient in a reservoir like mine shown in the picture and use a pump to pump it to the PVC pipes like mine.

o

some of the plants have grown quite well..ec 1200-1400

o

Nice and healthy roots!
i drilled a few holes in the plastic cup for the roots to develop.

o

i've put some directly in the water stream without the cups

o

these are the beautiful roots!!a real beauty!!

o

one of the lettuces!

o

niceeeeeeeee!!

o

Hi
nice pics and thanks for describing all these.
I am also new to this and would like to start. But it is quite strange that the government is trying to promote these type of system but net cups are not available at all in the country??
I have also tried to find but without any luck.
Does someone know where net cups are available in this country??

Thanks

o

@ laval Make little incisions like myself in rs1 plastic cups available everywhere

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here