Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atish_gw

Hydroponic drained nutrients used for NFT(lettuce)

Atish
11 years ago

Hi all,
I have a greenhouse where i plant tomatoes in cocopeat.I'll be doing an experiment whereby i'll be collecting the drained nutrients from the tomatoes in a barrel and pumping it to my lettuce which will be in 80mm PVC in netcups with cocopeat.
I am just guessing that that EC,PH will not affect the lettuce much.Hopefully the NFT system works.
The only issue i might be having would be algae formation in the nutrient barrel.
I have constructed a support system made of wood shown in the picture.(5 layers)-The support for the PVC pipes is still unfinished and messy!
I'll be more than grateful to hear about suggestions and recommendations.
Love from Mauritius

Comments (13)

• halfway
    10 years ago

This sounds like a great experiment. I am always looking for things to do with the expended nutrients.

I either dilute and adds as a foliar spray or simply dump on the raw compost pile(s).

Please keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Indoor Growing Adventure

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks halfway for the follow up.
    Nearly finished the placing the PVC pipes and now waiting for my icebergs to get bigger to put them in!

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these are the lettuces!!they are healthy and clean!
    I've decided to add Batavia Lettuce as well..and I can't wait for these to become bigger to transfer them in the NFT system!these will be grown outdoors and we are approaching winter here in Mauritius.I am getting some difficulty in finding netcups here and i'll do a slight modification to this problem by using plastic cups where i'll be drilling holes in them.

• Ricone
    10 years ago

FIRST I HAVE A QUESTION. How far apart are the Lettuce Holes in the NFT Pipes????

I am Growing Tomatoes in a Dutch Bucket system. Tomatoes are Heavy feeder. I like to change my Reservoir no less than every 2 weeks. It seem to me to be a waste to throw that good Nutrient water away. At present time I water my soil grown Shrubs & Trees with that water.

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ Ricone
    there is 30 cm between each hole.
    ,you can put the leftover nutrient in a reservoir like mine shown in the picture and use a pump to pump it to the PVC pipes like mine.

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

some of the plants have grown quite well..ec 1200-1400

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice and healthy roots!
    i drilled a few holes in the plastic cup for the roots to develop.

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i've put some directly in the water stream without the cups

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these are the beautiful roots!!a real beauty!!

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one of the lettuces!

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

niceeeeeeeee!!

• laval.liu
    10 years ago

Hi
    nice pics and thanks for describing all these.
    I am also new to this and would like to start. But it is quite strange that the government is trying to promote these type of system but net cups are not available at all in the country??
    I have also tried to find but without any luck.
    Does someone know where net cups are available in this country??

Thanks

• Atish
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ laval Make little incisions like myself in rs1 plastic cups available everywhere