Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunseeker1001

Aeroponics exotic fruit set up, need expert help

sunseeker1001
15 years ago

Im new to aeroponics and I am having a little bit of difficulty in finding a variatey of web sites that carry aeroponic supplies such as jets and high pressure pumps. I could only find 2 web sites and the pump were pricey,but I need pumps that will do 75-100 psi.

Let me explain what I want to do and then maybe you can help me figure out what I need

I am growing miricale fruit in 5 gallon buckets I want to put a 50 micron jet in each bucket and I need to figure out how much hose to each jet and how many jets I can run off of 1 pump so that I will know exactly how many pumps I will need. I am going to start off with 4 5 gallon buckets with 1 miricale fruit each(miricale fruit is a bush reaching about 10 feet tall) I want to design the buckets so the water that falls off the roots into the bottom of the bucket flows back to a filtration system and back into a resivor to start the whole process over again. My question is tho, If I do reverse osmosis filtration back to the resivor, how often will I need to keep up on my nutrient adding to the water cycle? each jet uses 0.04 oz of water per second, so after figuring what my cycle time is for duration on each jet, I can add those numbers together, figure out how much water each day it will consume and base my resivore and water filtration tank size off of that?

Comments (15)

• sunseeker1001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

scrap the reverse osmosis idea, I need a filtration sytem that's low cost and will filter out harmful microorganisms but still keep the nutrients coming back to the resivore. I called Biocontrols from their number on their web site and the guys basically like, screw you order our cdrom I'm not helping you out with anything. I really want to find a hi-pressure pump that wont run me $250...

• hex2006
    15 years ago

Hi Sunseeker,
    There are far easier,cheaper and lower maintenance ways of growing plants.Are you sure you want to go the aero route? :)
    I think you`ll need bigger deeper buckets for a 10ft bush, it`ll have a very extensive root system especially with aero. Water shouldn`t fall off the roots,ideally the timing is fine tuned so the mist is absorbed on contact.

You can run a fair number of jets off one pump if you use an accumulator tank. It will save you having to buy a new pump once a month. Make sure the pump you buy has a diaphragm and valves that are resistant to chemicals or they won`t last too long.

Use a 50 micron filter before the pump and another on the return line to prevent bits of roots and other debris draining into the res.
    The jet flowrate will depend on the water pressure, higher psi will produce a higher flowrate. Mine do about 2.6ml/sec at 90psi and 2ml/sec at 60psi.
    With 38L accumulator and 24 heads, the pump kicks in once every half an hour for about 20 seconds although it varies with the cycle timer setting.
    The reservoir volume will depend on the mist timing, air temperature, light intensity etc, iow how much the plants are drinking.

Hopefully some of the above will be useful to you.

• Karen Pease
    15 years ago

I need a filtration sytem that's low cost and will filter out harmful microorganisms but still keep the nutrients coming back to the resivore

Well, you could consider backpacking water filters. I'm personally fond of the ceramic ones. If your flow ever slows down, you just lightly abrade the outside with a cloth that comes with it, and you're back up and running again.

• hex2006
    15 years ago

The vast majority of harmful micro-organisms prefer anaerobic conditions so they`d find it quite difficult to get established in the system.

• sunseeker1001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what kind of filtration system do I need for my aeroponics set up that isn't reverse osmosis and that will keep my nutrients in the water. theirs one on biocontrols.com that uses a R/O system along with many other fetures such as ph adjustment automaticly and some how keeps nutrients in the water but it is almost $900, I need something for a small scale green house doing like 20-30 plants that wont break the bank, but wont sacrifice filtration. any web sites you guys know of where I could pick up something like that? also I need the system to be able to fill a accumulator, or a device I can buy separately if the system dosent have that ability, that will be able to take the water from the filtration system and fill a accumulator automatically, to supply my pump with water to tge jets.

• hex2006
    15 years ago

You may be better off using using a less complex hydro method initially.
    Biocontrols is a company so i guess they have an interest in making money :) The plants won`t care if the system costs $1000 or $100 if it meets their needs.
    Nutrients won`t leave the water unless the plants use them. Automatic Ph adjustment is no more necessary with aero than any other hydro method,use a ph meter. RO water isn`t necessary either unless your water is well below par or seriously hard.
    Here`s a quick rundown of how a system works.
    The demand pump pumps water via a 50 micron mesh filter from the res into the accumulator tank until it reaches the pumps preset cut-off pressure (eg 90psi)
    The cycle timer operates the solenoid valve which releases water from the tank to the mist heads.
    When the pressure in the accumulator tank drops below the cut-in point of the pump (75psi),it refills the accumulator tank from the res back upto 90psi and switches off.

• sunseeker1001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alright, cool. good explanation. Now, Can I set up a basic filtration system them? my question I guess is, what materials and machines will I need besides a pump for the jets and accumulator tank to put together a filtration system that will work as you described, without it being R/O. Will aerating the resivor help keep germs away along with peroxide dose or what device or chemical keeps the water sterile and clean. Im trying to pice together a system that will filter and deliver water to the accumulator and pump, I just am not sure everything I will need to keep the system clean and as far as what kind of filters/other device I need to go with it.

• hex2006
    15 years ago

I have a 5" inline filter housing with a 50 micron element between the res and the pump.For the return to the res i use a coarse filter to catch any big stuff followed by 3 washable bag filters (100-50 micron)to deal with any small stuff.
    Aerating the res is always a good idea, keep all light out of it and the temperature below 70F if you can. You could sink it into the greenhouse floor where its cooler.
    I find its easier to maintain a healthy environment than to try to sterilize everything with harsh chemicals..you`ll never win the battle :)
    Other items include: a 24v solenoid valve, a reliable cycle timer, a water pressure guage and a pressure relief valve to prevent a pump malfunction turning the accumulator tank into a bomb :)
    You`ll also need a car tire pressure guage (preferably a digital one) to set and check the accumulator air pressure.

• sunseeker1001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

few questions. where is a good web site to find the inline filters? is it a universal water filter type deal? or is it ment for hydroponics? when you say you have a 50 micron element in a 5"inline filter, dose it restrict water flow at all? I found a uv light for water cleaning. I looks like one of those fish tank thermometers but you drop it in water to kill bacteria (http://www.watervalue.com/uv.html)...has anyone thought of using this? are there any negatives to this?

• hex2006
    15 years ago

The filter is on the suction side of the pump so it doesn`t restrict the flow. You should be able to find a supplier online (google), home depot or even ebay may have them too.
    The housing looks like this (http://www.greenteam-shop.co.uk/5-inch-filter-house-white-12-ports-9-p.asp)
    The element and bag filters are on the same website under "Elements for the filter housing" and "bag filtering" so you know what to look for.

Aero is no different to other hydro methods,it doesn`t need a laboratory standard sterile environment :)
    UV lamps,ozone and other hi tech gadgets are not necessary.

• sunseeker1001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, I have never done this or hydro before so From what Ive read it sounded like you have to up keep this extremely sterile environment and I was just making sure that I didn't need the stuff. Would I be able to use a UV lamp that is able to drop into a resivore if I wanted to tho?

• willardb3
    15 years ago

Filter both nutrient as it returns to the reservoir and on the pump suction/inlet. Doesn't matter where the filter is on the pump, the filter pressure drop will restrict the flow. I use 2 layers of woman's stockings and don't plug my emitters.

The only problem with filtering on the inlet/suction is that you may cavitate the pump from low npsh. If it's cavitating, you'll hear it. Cheap centrifugal pumps cavitate easily.

How you treat the water depends strongly upon your water quality and, if you have doubts, get it tested. I am on municipal water whose only problems are slime mold, present in all piping systems more than 20 tears old, and chlorine. I treat the water with 1000 ppm of 3% hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for 48 hrs minimum and, voila, no problems.

High pressure pumps and controls are expensive and really not necessary. Best plan is to reduce the pressure drop of the emitter and use conventional hydro pumps......way less expensive and maintenance intensive. I have done it both ways and there's no benefit in making fine mist as liquid works just as well. You must aerate the nutrient.

• hex2006
    15 years ago

I`m surprised you didn`t see a difference with high pressure aero.
    Its very easy to get sprinklerponic results using high pressure aero. If you can see water droplets on the roots without a magnifying glass you are overdoing the misting duration.
    I agree that low pressure is effective, much cheaper and less hassle, but there again so is a plantpot full of soil. Grow with a method you feel comfortable with :)

• sunseeker1001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, I am going with the hi-pressure, misting aeroponics. I have looked at ultrasonic foggers and it sounds like they are not really the best for yield, but growth is alot faster. I have found a actuator for like $180, a hi pressure pump for like $275 and thats pretty much it. If you guys know of anywhere to get these cheaper let me know. Also, I was wondering, low pressure pump in conjunction with a jet ment for hi pressure, will not create fine mist will it?

• hex2006
    15 years ago

$180 seems a lot for an accumulator tank,i paid the equivalent of $60 for a 10gal tank, how big is it?
    The pump is expensive too, what type is it?. You should be able to set up a complete system for less than the combined price of the pump and tank.

A standard low pressure pump with a maximum head of 10ft provides about 4.5psi at zero flow so you won`t get much in the way of mist from a nozzle rated at 45psi (3 bar) :)
    Ideally the mist heads should have inline adv`s which provide a very sharp on/off response to the mist pulse.
    The ones i use have to see at least 58psi before they`ll let any water through.