Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New method of increasing sugar in tomatoes

Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 10:48

I thought people here would be interested in this research. Researchers wrap bonsai wire around the stems of tomato plants and get huge increase in sugar content.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire wraped tomato plants increase sugar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New method of increasing sugar in tomatoes

interesting article. So your tomatoes are smaller but with A LOT more flavor. I wonder what that would do to a better boy or a beefsteak?
I wonder if it is similar to "supercropping" as was discussed here a few years ago?

o
RE: New method of increasing sugar in tomatoes

You can also expose developing fruits to cooler temperatures to initiate fructose synthesis. Another method is to completely eliminate UV light. UV light turns sugars into antioxidants, carotenoids (vitamin A), and secosteroids (vitamin D). Your plants will be sweeter but lacking these nutrients and will have slightly higher cholestrol content (cholestrol forms an integral part of all plant cells).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here